Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is AirDrop for iOS over Bluetooth?

Title says it all

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 11:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 11:22 PM

yes, over wifi or bluetooth.

8 replies

May 5, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Apple kiwi

Is there something different about the Bluetooth and WiFi on older Apple devices that prevents file transfer between older iMacs, iPads and iPhones and the latest ones? For example my 2007 iMac, running Yosemite, can see my iPad mini and can even, with some persuading, connect with it. But that's all it can do - no way of exchanging files, even though they are on the same WiFi network.

May 5, 2015 11:50 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Sounds a bit of a retrograde step. I used to be able to transfer files between my 2007 iMac and my old Ericsson W300i using Bluetooth (and, come to think of it between my even older PC and laptop running Windows 2000). Now I have to send everything through the sodding iCloud. But I keep forgetting that iOS devices are not proper computers, they are just devices for generating income for Apple!

May 6, 2015 4:55 AM in response to christopherfromemsworth

christopherfromemsworth wrote:

Well you cannot use AirDrop on an early 2007 iMac, so iCloud and Dropbox are solutions. Don't think I'm knocking Apple; the synchronisation of diaries, emails, notes and iWorks is extremely clever, even with my ancient equipment.

Yes, there are still more options than BT and iCloud. I am very fond of DropBox because it is crossplatform and, unlike BT transfers (which the few times I've ever done them on my Android phones) allows me to actually store files somewhere.

The BT file transfer profile introduces potential security risks. I know that people will say, "I should be allowed to decide if I want that risk" but that's not and never has been the way Apple does things. Apple does things the way that think is best. You can like it or not like it but I don't see it as likely to change. The best you can do is submit feedback and/or vote with your wallet.

Best of luck.

Is AirDrop for iOS over Bluetooth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.