Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with video format when moving clip to edit space.

I am using iMove 11 (Version 9.0.9). We have recorded a clip on Camtesia in 4:3 ratio and it is a *.mov file. I import the clip into iMovie (iMoves Preferences 4;3 and Import HD Video as: Full--Original Size). When I then run the mouse over the clip imported into Events section it displays in the top right viewer window correctly with small a black space at the top and bottom of the frame and I can view the full width of the frame.

If I then select part of the clip and drag it into the Project Edit area and then run my mose over it the video in the viewer fits to the hieght and the left and right edges are clipped so the full frame is no longer seen.

This appears to remain the case when I finish the project.

I have opened the original *.mov file in QuickTime and it displays fine.

What am I doing wrong? (I'm running on a Mac Mini using Lion.)

Ciao

John

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 7:41 AM

First, go to FILE/PROJECT PROPERTIES and make sure the project is set to 4:3.

That should fix it.

If you put your clip in a 16:9 project, you have two choices. You can crop off the top and bottom to make it fill the frame. Or you can letterbox it (black bars) so you see the entire original frame. There is a tool on the middle toolbar called ROTATE, CROP, KEN BURNS. This tool will let you toggle between FIT (letterbox) and CROP (cut off top and bottom) for a specific clip.

But if your clip is 4:3 and your project properties are set to 4:3, then you should not need to change anything.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2013 7:41 AM in response to johnfaraway

First, go to FILE/PROJECT PROPERTIES and make sure the project is set to 4:3.

That should fix it.

If you put your clip in a 16:9 project, you have two choices. You can crop off the top and bottom to make it fill the frame. Or you can letterbox it (black bars) so you see the entire original frame. There is a tool on the middle toolbar called ROTATE, CROP, KEN BURNS. This tool will let you toggle between FIT (letterbox) and CROP (cut off top and bottom) for a specific clip.

But if your clip is 4:3 and your project properties are set to 4:3, then you should not need to change anything.

Jul 31, 2013 7:58 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Hi

Thank you for getting back on this.

I am importing at 4:3 and the File/Project Properties are set at 4:3. As you suggest it it should there for fit. As previously indicated the Clip in the Event area does fit. It is when I move it to the Edit Area (top left) that it seems to go wrong. Could it be something in Camtesia we have not set correctly?

I recognise you suggestion re Rotate, Crop etc but I feel I need to get to the bottom of the problem as there is something we are obviously doing wrong.

Ciao

John

Problem with video format when moving clip to edit space.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.