Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4

I am trying to update 10.6.8 to OSX 10.8.4 (if that is the latest version) and now it is telling me I must first upgrade to 10.7. Do I have to upgrade to each of the updates individually before gaining the ability to download 10.8.4? Thanks very much for any help! 🙂 Marsha

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 9:56 AM

You need to buy 10.8.4 from the Mac App Store, which will check that the system's compatible before allowing the purchase. No intermediate upgrades are required.

(86357)

13 replies

Jul 31, 2013 10:13 AM in response to mpsue

When attempting to download OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store on certain Macs that shipped with OS X Mountain Lion preinstalled

If your Mac does not meet the system requirements for OS X Mountain Lion

If you are trying to reinstall OS X, please use the steps in this article: OS X: About OS X Recovery.

If you are trying to update OS X to a later version, see this article.

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Nov 3, 2013 12:34 PM in response to Josh Demello

Two days ago (November 1, 2013), I upgraded my Mac Mini from 10.6 to 10.8. I bought Mountain Lion two days before that as a download ($19.99) from the Apple store at http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion . It was a bit tedious to do so—I had to enter my Apple ID and password six times on six different pages before I could check out.

The next day I got a redemption code that I could use with the App Store application to start the download. It took just over seven hours, but I live in a rural area where broadband is not available.

The installer expected 10.6.8 to be on the disk; mine was an earlier version. So I had to apply all the Snow Leopard updates. Then the Mountain Lion installation succeeded.

Nov 22, 2013 4:46 AM in response to Niel

Hi,

Im having the same problem. I'm not used to Mac's and have only borrowed this off my cousin so I can send my new app through to app store. I don't know how to update from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4, you say buy it from the store but when I click on it, it does not give me the option to buy it just starts downloading. I don't want to download it because then it will say I need to download the earlier versions and so on.

Surely there must be a simple way.

Please help!! Thank you.

How do I upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.