1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2013 9:33 AM by HunterBD
HunterBD Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Hello

I have iPhoto '11  version 9.4.3  and use Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4 on a 24" iMac around 4 years old

When I now open photographs in iPhoto, instead of a nice big clear and attractive picture, I see a small version like this:-

Small iPhoto.jpg

Please can you tell me how to restore things to how they should be?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Dave

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, +MS Windows 7 on personal laptop
  • 1. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query
    LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (56,675 points)

1 - your photo did not post

2 - what has recently changed?

3 - What are the pixel dimensions of the photo?

4 - simplest answer is to restore from your backup from just before this happened

LN

• 2. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query
    léonie Level 9 Level 9 (51,730 points)

For me the screenshot does show, Larry.

Small+iPhoto.jpg.png

HunterBD, it looks like your photos were only thumbnails. Are all your photos thumbnail sized or only some? Did you try to import an iPhoto library package?

• 3. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

so now JIVE is showing you responses but won't show me photos

LN

• 4. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

The photo I downloaded had the file extension "jpg.tiff". Can it be, that your browser does not show tiff files?

• 5. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

and now it won't show me your response or the OP's photo

LN

• 6. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query
    Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (115,700 points)

JIVE is really messed up today, both with previous replies and photos.  It's been mentioned in the Lounge.

• 7. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

Hi Larry and all others too!

Here's the screenshot of my iPhoto view of a typical photo:  http://imgur.com/8oQHgXL

The pixel size is 360 x 270   63 KB

The image from 'Grab' was saved to my desktop as a tiff file but this facility would not accept it. I used 'Get Info' to change it to a .jpeg and it did then load here!

I've messed about quite a bit on my machine and currenty have two iPhoto libraries as well as lots of jpeg files on my hard drive which aren't in iPhoto at all! I'm trying to get all to show full size and not have to reload from my back-up CD's. The photos are, I'm fairly sure, still on my machine full size .... somewhere!

I am using Photostream too, so I wonder if photos have been reduced for use in that regard.

I had hoped that someone might point me in the right direction! I apologise if I've confused matters further.

Dave

• 8. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

The pixel size is 360 x 270   63 KB

That is a thumbnail - apparently you have imported an old iPhoto library into your existing library sometime in the past - to have large photos you need to find them - there is nothing you can do with these

LN

• 9. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

The photos are, I'm fairly sure, still on my machine full size .... somewhere!

Use the Finder to search for image files with a larger pixelsize:

• Open a Finder window and enter ⌘F to start a search.
    • Set the search scope to "This Mac"
    • Set the search rule to "Kind" and select "Image" and a filetype, for example "Jpeg"
    • Set the "Arrange" to "Size", "descending"

Now your largest image files should appear at the top of the list. Select one of the large photos. Then the path bar at the bottom of the window should show you the location of the file.

Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 00.29.36MESZ.PNG

Regards

Léonie

• 10. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

Hi Leonie

Thank you for helping me to locate the files on my iMac - it seems that there are many hundreds available in pristine condition (from the ones I have checked). That's great news! Thank you so much.

So - now I need to know what fantastic facility is available to enable me to transfer all the jpeg files into the iPhoto programme without doing it one by one. There simply must be one <rolls eyes> I'd like someone to point me in the right direction if possible.

Can anyone help me with this?  I'd sure appreciate it. 

Dave

• 11. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

Thanks for confirming that, LarryHN

You help is appreciated.

• 12. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

So - now I need to know what fantastic facility is available to enable me to transfer all the jpeg files into the iPhoto programme without doing it one by one. There simply must be one <rolls eyes> I'd like someone to point me in the right direction if possible.

That will depend on where you found the high resolution image files. Are they distributed all over the place or in folders together?

If you look at the path bar at the foot of the search window -  is that path a folder inside another iPhoto library or a folder somewhere else on your mac?

• 13. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

They are all over the place, Leonie! 

There's folders inside folders inside folders! A right mess.

I've transferred back-ups from old Windows machines onto this iMac over the years.

But I've lots of space - My HDD is 1 TB now.

I'm willing to pay for a programme if there is one which will do the job.

Thanks for helping. I appreciate it. 

• 14. Re: Opening photos in iPhoto - size query

If you have plenty of space, I'd create a new folder on the Desktop and use the search window from above to copy all full size images to that folder.

Sort the photos by size, select all photos starting from the top of the window to the last sizes you want, and copy them to that folder (hold down the ⌥-key,  and drag the photos from the search window to the folder on the Desktop. The cursor should turn into to indicate copying).

Then import this folder into iPhoto, with "File > Import to Library". When prompted for duplicate images, select "Don't import" duplicates:

Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 11.42.01MESZ.PNG

iPhoto will craete new events by auto splitting the folder into events, according to your settings.

You may still need to weed out duplicates afterwards.

And I would do this in a new iPhoto library, and not import into the old library, if all your photos are only thumbnails  in that library. Switch to a new iPhoto Library with "File > Switch to Library > Create New".

If the photos were isolated in one older library, you could try to rescue that library with iPhoto Library Manager, but so I have little hope.  Perhaps LarryHN has a simpler solution

-- Léonie

1 2 Previous Next