Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Separate Fade In & Fade Out?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to separate your fade ins and fade outs in iMovie '11. For example, if I want to fade out my earlier clip slowly and then have the next image jump in sharply for dramatic effect, or even if I want a quick fade out on the earlier clip and then a long, slow fade in on the next clip (say, perhaps, that the previous clip was very short and wouldn't facilitate a long fade). In my earlier version of iMovie the fades were attached to the beginning or end of a specific clip and could be worked with independently, which was great and gave a lot more freedom to achieve the effect I wanted, but here it seems like there's no way to fade in without also fading out. Very frustrating. Does anyone have a solution or tips?

Thanks so much!

iMovie '11

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 11:05 AM

Have you tried inserting a clip of black between the elements you fading out of and into?

You can find black among the vairety of backgrounds if you click the little globe icon next to the Title and Transition Browser icons.

For example if you insert a black between two clips you can slowly fade out the first one and then have the next clip just jump in out of the black without a transition.

Matt

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2013 11:05 AM in response to angelofashes

Have you tried inserting a clip of black between the elements you fading out of and into?

You can find black among the vairety of backgrounds if you click the little globe icon next to the Title and Transition Browser icons.

For example if you insert a black between two clips you can slowly fade out the first one and then have the next clip just jump in out of the black without a transition.

Matt

Jul 31, 2013 1:49 PM in response to Matthew Morgan

Thanks, that's the only thing I could think of too; I was hoping there might be an easier option. It just throws in the extra step of getting the black screen and making sure it's sized exactly right every time I want to do this (which is often multiple times per video), and then resizing it whenever I decide I want the fade a bit longer or shorter. 😐 I know some of my issues with this version of iMovie are just due to having to get used to a new program, but a lot of the changes have definitely just made editing more complicated.

Separate Fade In & Fade Out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.