Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Can you wash the new ear buds?

1096 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 5:29 AM by James Ward4 RSS
Steven Shmerler Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 31, 2013 1:39 PM

While I certainly don't recommend this...

I put my jeans in my washer AND dryer and later remembered I left my iPhone 5 ear phones in my jeans and had totally washed them :(

I'm surprised to report that they weren't damaged a bit!

Don't know how, but all's well :)

Again please don't try this. I seem to have lucked out. But I remember years ago reading a thread about some one putting there keyboard in the dish washer. But I'm sure you can't do that with today's slim delicate ones. It was a G3 or earlier

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 4-Core Mid 2012, 30" & 22" Display
  • Rudegar Level 6 Level 6 (18,520 points)
    Aug 1, 2013 7:52 AM (in response to Steven Shmerler)

speakers as in also ear buds is made of a paper related fabric so making it wet can cause it to break so you're lukcey they are fine

keyboards (most of them) use a membrane where the key press 3 slides of plastic making a connection between the 2 outer ones which works as a matrix so the signal of which key is pressed is proccessed

if it gets wet it can act strange as connections could happen even when keys are not pressed

and if the wet is from suger filled stuff it will kill the keyboard with extreme prejudice

I've attempted many times to clean up keyboards which had gotten soda or coffee with sugar in it

only 1 in 10 ever recovered 100%

when suger is involved then dish washer is even powerless

• James Ward4 Level 7 Level 7 (23,140 points)
    Aug 1, 2013 12:29 PM (in response to Steven Shmerler)

Just be aware that inspite of the fact they appear to work fine now, once the some of the materials inside become wet at all, they tend to weaken. Not out of the question they will fail with a bit more use. For your sake I hope not (seriously not trying to rain on your parade, just speaking from experience).

• James Ward4 Level 7 Level 7 (23,140 points)
    Aug 2, 2013 5:29 AM (in response to Steven Shmerler)

Steven Shmerler wrote:

Luckily, these ear phones aren't too expensive if replacement is needed.

Well, that is true. Hoping for the best for you at any rate.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.