Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac has black screen - won't turn on properly

I've tried resetting the PRAM and SAT but that hasn't helped.

After watching a movie, my computer froze completely, so I had to hold the power button down and restart. I can still hear the startup chime when I restart it, and the keys make a sound when pressed. The white dot on the front panel is lit. However, the screen remains black (no, it's not the brightness - the screen looks completely turned off).

It's a 17" Intel iMac from late 2006 (Tiger era). It's currently running OS X Version 10.5.8.

Yes, my beloved iMac is rather old but it has been working just fine lately.... Although it wouldn't be surprising if it's a hardware failure. It's been used on almost a daily basis since I got it. My hard drive was replaced not too long ago, and based on what I've seen from other peoples' issues, I don't think it's a hard drive problem? (At least that's what I'm hoping, because there are some files that were still in the process of being backed up.)

So, what else can I try to do to fix my mac? If all else fails... I could use some advice on how to transfer data from my internal HD to something else. Unfortunately, if it's a hardware failure, I'd probably be better off buying a new machine instead of replacing more parts (while I'd love a new mac, I cannot afford one right now).

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Intel iMac 2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), -

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 4:21 PM

1 reply

iMac has black screen - won't turn on properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.