Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding" spontaneous solution?

Brand new iPhone 5 32GB T-Mobile, running 6.1.4. Sitting at the park, 4 bars of 4G data, unlimited account, and I go to browse on Safari and get that dreaded "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding." Absolutely would not open any page, but voice was no problem and when I got home, WiFi working no problem at all. But when I disabled WiFi, can't open any web pages again.

Then spent a good 2 hours trying *almost* (you'll see which one later) every suggestion that I could find on the 'net, including but not limited to and in varying order depending on solution offered, hard reset, soft reset, power down, reset Network setting, Airplane-mode-on-clear-cookies-start-Safari-Airplane-mode-off, clean Safari cache, clear Safari cookies, carrier settings, data settings, LTE settings, etc., etc.

"Two hours later..." - nothing worked.

Saving the most drastic solution before making an appointment at the Genius Bar - factory restore - I had exhausted all the suggestions and solutions that have been written about this problem from 2009(!) to present, So, I proceeded to back up all the data to my computer in preparation for "restore" and after it was all backed up, a warning came up stating that a restore would cause any iTunes purchased items to be deleted and they'd have to be re-purchased!

Needless to say because my wife had plenty of expensive e-books, videos and songs pruchased from iTunes, I did not go through with the restore. Instaead, I booked Genius Bar appt. for the next day and decided to let Apple take a look at the iPhone.

So, I ejected the iPhone from iTunes and was going to let it charge up overnight when I decided to look on elast time and - you guessed it - the 4G data worked like nothing had ever happened.

The moral and reason of this story is to memorialize this strange, relatively rare problem that has transcended three iPhone generations and four years, has been resolved by different methods by different people at different times and, in my case, seemed to spomtaneously have resolved itself after backing up the phone locally and having WiFi turned off for about 3 or 4 hrs.

Good luck, fellow mystery "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding" sufferes.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, 32GB T-Mobile unlimited everything

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 4:57 PM

2 replies

"Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding" spontaneous solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.