Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New imac data transfer

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 27 inch imac. I have a old macbook, I think the first generation of intel processor in the macbook. The macbook couldnt handle many of the photo and video editing I was doing. It was nothing too advanced, but I often had mutliple screens open so it would take forever to complete projects, so I finally purchased the imac. I did a transfer of data using the time capsule time, but I think the OS on the imac just found the macbook on the network and begin the transfer, at least thats whay it looked like to me. When I clicked okay, it had still said calculating for the different files to be transfered.

I have three questions:

1. I want to completely reformat the macbook so it runs at a faster speed, but I am worried that not all of the data transfered over. Typically if I do a data transfer using from MAC to MAC, does it all transfer? It appears all the photos are there in iphoto, and through random checks I have seen files from the macbook.

2. Pending all information has been transfered over, it there a way I can run a check to make sure the new imac is running optimally? I wanna make sure none of the old stuff from the mac book is gunking the speed up? The applications, like iphoto and imovie are faster, but not as fast as they seemed in the apple store. The photos I have are stored on the computers hard drive, but when editing videos they come from a USB 3 external harddrive.

3. If I purchased the imac from Best Buy, will I have to register the computer with Apple, or was that completed during setup? I don't remember seeing a registration screen.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 7:00 PM

3 replies

Jul 31, 2013 8:27 PM in response to babowa

I used the migration system suring the initial set up. It asked what method I wanted to use, and I selected time machine. It still said calculating when I selected next. After I selected next, it began the migration process, but it appeared that it had discovered the macbook on the network and was taking from the network. It took several hours maybe ten plus.

Usually when you set up a computer it askes you to register. During setup it never asked, so I assumed it was completed during the migration. I cannot find where I would register on the apple site.

Jul 31, 2013 9:43 PM in response to dmenace79

Yes, I was surprised to find that the registration site had closed the other day:

http://register.apple.com/html/Apple-ProductRegistration.html

However, do click on the 'check the service..." link and enter your serial number. If it is not registered (or any of the details including the dates are wrong), you may want to call Apple to have the information corrected. Not sure what else to suggest since this is a new way of doing things.

As for your transfer: I can't help with that since you used Time Machine which I do not use; hopefully someone else will chime in for that.

New imac data transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.