5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2013 5:57 PM by Hamper
Hamper Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a second hand iMac from 2011 which doesn't let me boot from a USB, HDD or CD and throws up this Kernel Panic:

DSCF5648.JPG

I did some searching online and installed all the updates (Mountain Lion) but it still does this. This particular error is when I try to boot from a CD onto a partition, I get the Apple logo but then it crashes.

The best solution I had seen is on another forum where the person took it to a Genius and they exchanged the RAM and it was fixed, it was faulty RAM!

I Have 4GB, on a 27" i5 2.7GHz Mac it doesn't seem like much, perhaps it's that?

The way I get it to boot is to restart it and hold OPTION, then select the HDD and it works, but I don't think this is right at all.

Any ideas, I don't understand the error codes.

• baltwo Level 9 Level 9 (61,945 points)

Post the Kernel Panic report. It's either in /Users/username/Library/Logs/PanicReporter/ or in /Library/Logs/PanicReporter/. In the meantime see

About kernel panics,
    Technical Note TN2063: Understanding and Debugging Kernel Panics,
    Mac OS X Kernel Panic FAQ,
    Resolving Kernel Panics,
    How to troubleshoot a kernel panic, and
    Tutorial: Avoiding and eliminating Kernel panics for more details.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (165,075 points)

It has a wrong version of OS X 10.6 installed. You need the original gray installation discs that came with it -- not a retail Snow Leopard disc. Boot from the first disc, erase the startup volume, and install. If you don't have the discs, you can order replacements from Apple customer service.

• Hamper Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I wish I had the time for all that. it's going to take forever. I couldn't find the panic report, there wasn't one, in either location.

The computer came with no disks, it's second hand, it had ML installed on it, I decided to partition the HDD to install SL myself, but I cannot boot from anything, not CD, USB, or anything. I tried to use the AHT (Apple Hardware Test) but it wasn't designed for my system apparently, but my computer is from 2011, not 2013

ref: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

I am thinking of installing a clone of my old computer and then just upgrading to ML manually. But, am not sure if I can do that, what if I have a hardware problem?

It's so annoying, I can't boot from CD or USB, I've never encountered that before, I hope it's just a software issue. I notice in the sidebar that the person did a Carbon Copy Cloner and they might well have done it wrong, but how do I do a clean install???

• baltwo Level 9 Level 9 (61,945 points)

If your old machine has 10.6.8 one it, make a bootable clone to an ext HD, and try booting the iMac with it. If your second hand iMac is a mid-2011 one, it should boot with 10.6.7 or later. Details on the machine. BTW, if you bought it w/MLion installed, then most likely it's registered to the previous owner's AppleID and you need to wipe the machine and get it registered to yours. If it is a 12,2 model, then that's why it won't boot with the retail SL insall disc. We need more info.

• Hamper Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Normally I would persue this but I just don't have the time, so I am just going to give up on it, not my usual style at all!

I booted with FW and managed to select some kind of Revovery partition, I don't know how that got there but it allowed me to restore from Time Machine and so I managed to get my old system up and running. From here I am still unable to boot from an external HDD, same thing happens, but everything else is the same.

So, I am just going to cut my losses and just keep trucking until, in a year or two, I can afford a Mac Pro, the new one, the toilet roll one, and just wait until then. Everything else seems to work, so it will hopefully be okay??

Thanks for everybody's help, I don't know why I'd have to worry about any of this, strange behaviour!