Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rerip or convert aiff files into compressed formats

Hi

i'm planning to rip my cd collection into aiff using xld onto my mac and then import into itunes.

if i also want to have a copy of my collection, say in apple lossless or aac, should i rip the two formats i want at the same time or should i rip into aiff and then create a second copy through itunes (through its convert function)?

the two matters of concern i have re pittfalls are:

if i am using aiff files as my archived master set and then convert a second copy into either aac or alac will there be any issue with lost tags and should the quality of the alac or aac files be just as good (or just a smidgen off) as having ripped them directly off the cd into these formats???

also.....

if i do create a new cpy of my albums do these tracks appear "doubled up" on the same album listing or can this be avoided only, say by using two itunes libraries (eg aiff on exterrnal hard drive and aac on imac) on two different drives? how would i go about this exactly?

for backup purposes......can i infact have two itunes libraries on the same external drive if i choose? if not then i obviously can back up these files on the same external drive without having them in itunes.

any guidance is much appreciated

cheers

peter t

iMac

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 4:05 PM

i'm planning to rip my cd collection into aiff using xld onto my mac and then import into itunes.

if i also want to have a copy of my collection, say in apple lossless or aac, should i rip the two formats i want at the same time or should i rip into aiff and then create a second copy through itunes (through its convert function)?

Peter,

If you rip the first copy in AIFF format, you can convert from the AIFF to create the copy in your second format. This will give identical quality to re-ripping in the second format, and it will keep the tags.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2013 4:05 PM in response to Crows2012

Peter,

If you rip the first copy in AIFF format, you can convert from the AIFF to create the copy in your second format. This will give identical quality to re-ripping in the second format, and it will keep the tags.

Aug 1, 2013 7:59 PM in response to Crows2012

Peter,

iTunes provides no good way to keep two versions of each song in two different formats. You can set up two libraries, as you suggest, but every time you add content to one you will have to manually convert to the other format and add that to the second library.

Most iTunes users avoid that by keeping the better version in their library, and using the shrink-n-sync feature ("Convert higher but rate songs to AAC") to put lesser versions onto their iDevice.

Aug 1, 2013 8:24 PM in response to ed2345

Hi again ed2345

Thanks for pointing out the shrink n sync feature.

So it appears the only way I can have two separate album versions (different formats) is by I my having 2 libraries on separate hard drives, right?

And i assume thus is only done by importing my albums in the new format to my second library. Right? Or when converting/creating the second version can i direct the new created files and album to a second location/drive?

Cheers

Peter t

Aug 2, 2013 2:03 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Hi Michael

I'm looking at aiff as I've managed to fool myself i can hear a difference between alac and aiff and wav so looking at aiff to keep tags and use those as my masters and for my main playback at home. Why not since its not a major cost for external hard drives?

I must say though that alac and in fact aac I found pretty good and a step up from mp3

Cheers

Peter t

Aug 2, 2013 2:48 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Hi Michael

Yes I've read those passionate arguments around the place re the sound differences (I deliberately have not used the phrase "sound quality" as I think if there are differences then who am I to tell someone what is the better quality ie preferred sound).

I must say though when sitting in front of my speakers listening to the same 3 or 4 steely dan songs (as in a whole lot of 3-10 second grabs that started doing my head in) I do believe that i heard differences. I'm definitely not ruling out this may have been psychosomatic but I reckon there's something in there being a difference between alac, wav and aiff. I'm no technician in these fields but perhaps it's all about how the system reads and converts this sound from digital info.

Just as I can't rule out my psychsomaticism (if that's a word) I can't rule out differences in the end effect of playing back these digitally stored files. Just my two bob.

And there is a warm feeling I get in my loins behind the idea of keeping it in uncompressed aiff. Btw I didn't mention that I really would have preferred wav but that's another condition i have - recently (as in today) focussed on the first 10 seconbds of "Josie"

Question:.....on a factual note.....following on from info ive received above I'm in the process of getting info (googling) re archiving my cds by copying a disc image to file. Can this be done through disk utility with roxio toast just needed for the burning of the cd part of it? ie do i use disk utility and not need any other software for this until i ever do want to make fresh copies of lost/damaged cds?

Peter t

Aug 2, 2013 3:53 AM in response to Crows2012

Question:.....on a factual note.....following on from info ive received above I'm in the process of getting info (googling) re archiving my cds by copying a disc image to file. Can this be done through disk utility with roxio toast just needed for the burning of the cd part of it? ie do i use disk utility and not need any other software for this until i ever do want to make fresh copies of lost/damaged cds?

actually i was getting this idea from this current post/question of mine:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5208510?answerId=22630781022#22630781022

Aug 2, 2013 3:57 AM in response to Crows2012

Crows2012 wrote:

Hi Michael

...I do believe that i heard differences.

Then by all means, do what you want to do and store the files in whatever format you like. I'm just making conversation. 🙂

Before I embarked on my entended stay out of the country I re-ripped all of my CD in ALAC, converted them to AAC so I would have highest quality lossy tracks I could get, then put the Drobo with the ALAC files in storage. So I know where you're coming from.

Crows2012 wrote:

Also....on a factual note.....following on from ingo ive received above I'm in the process of getting info re archiving my cds by copying a disc image to file. Can this be done through disk utility with roxio toast just needed for the burning of cd part if it?

I don't know. Perhaps someone who is more knowledegable about those types of things can help you.

Aug 2, 2013 5:27 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Michael Allbritton wrote:

Crows2012 wrote:

Hi Michael

...I do believe that i heard differences.

Then by all means, do what you want to do and store the files in whatever format you like. I'm just making conversation. 🙂

it's all good, Michael.

it's a bit like people's views on mac v pcs. i just bought my first mac at the beginning of the year. i am amazed how divided and passionate (defensive and attacking) people on forums get when people look at mac v pc.

macs are macs pcs are pcs - they each do what they do and each has its pros and cons on veraious levels and let yourself be the judge what suits and is the better vlaue - crickey!!! 🙂

Before I embarked on my entended stay out of the country I re-ripped all of my CD in ALAC, converted them to AAC so I would have highest quality lossy tracks I could get, then put the Drobo with the ALAC files in storage. So I know where you're coming from.

great!..... now im going to spend the next who knows how long googling Drobo (already open on another tab)

thanks for giving me another lot of research for me to get consumed by 🙂

peter t

rerip or convert aiff files into compressed formats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.