Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calling: other party does not hear me

When calling someone, the other party does not hear me at all (I hear them fine, always), or sometimes only during the first seconds. Facetime always works fine both ways, video and audio.

I have shut down the iPhone and did a restart, no avail. I did a complete restore, no avail. Noone I asked (friends, Apple dealer) has encountered the problem before.

(Of course I still have enough credit to make calls.)

Has anyone encountered this before? Has anyone any suggestion that will help me in diagnosing?

(I read similar questions, but I added that Facetime works fine.)

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 9:52 AM

Hello hajeetrom,

If in the restore you did, the backup of the device was restored as well, that could be the problem. Try restoring and setting up the iPhone as new to see what happens.

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Cheers,

Sterling

4 replies

Aug 3, 2013 12:53 PM in response to sterling r

That's one thing I didn't try yet, and it sure goes deeper than what I already tried. Good suggestion, Sterling. I'll do that asap and I'll let you and the others viewers know the result.

Question: this suggests that something in my software is the cause (well, it couldn't be hardware since Facetime audio functions well). Any app or setting that might be responsible? Where to look?

Thanks anyway for your trouble in responding.

Aug 4, 2013 3:58 AM in response to hajeetrom

Ok, I followed Sterling's suggestion.

I did the restore to factory settings, and this time I did NOT restore my backup as well. So, the iPhone was like I had just bought it. Next, I did some test phone calls. But alas, the other parties still couldn't hear me.

(BTW: After the previous restore (that included restoring the backup) the other party could hear me for some 15 seconds, and then they stopped hearing me. Today it was dead right away.)

Dead end?

Calling: other party does not hear me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.