Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to burn a DVD from iPhoto

So I have made about a 5 minute slideshow and I would like to burn it to a dvd. What is the best way to go about this as in blank dvds to buy and how to export the slideshow. Are there any precautions I need to take and also I have the Mac with retina display so it does not have a place to insert a DVD but I do have an external drive that I can plug in via usb port.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 6:51 AM

Export the slideshow from iPhoto, that makes a movie of it.

Do you want to use this DVD in a domestic DVD player? If so, then the disk will have to be 'authored' to make it the correct form for that. If you have iDVD then that's the app you use. However, iDVD is no longer developed or distributed by Apple. You may be able to get it on an old iLIfe install disk.

Other options:

Burn: http://macupdate.com/app/mac/21992/burn

Toast: http://macupdate.com/app/mac/6351/toast-titanium

But there are lots of others too. Search on the App Store or MacUpdate

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2013 6:51 AM in response to Warrior00

Export the slideshow from iPhoto, that makes a movie of it.

Do you want to use this DVD in a domestic DVD player? If so, then the disk will have to be 'authored' to make it the correct form for that. If you have iDVD then that's the app you use. However, iDVD is no longer developed or distributed by Apple. You may be able to get it on an old iLIfe install disk.

Other options:

Burn: http://macupdate.com/app/mac/21992/burn

Toast: http://macupdate.com/app/mac/6351/toast-titanium

But there are lots of others too. Search on the App Store or MacUpdate

Aug 1, 2013 1:49 PM in response to Warrior00

Export the slideshow out of iPhoto as a QT movie file via the Export button in the lower toolbar. Select Size = Medium or Large.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

If iDVD was not preinstalled on your Mac you'll have to obtain it by purchasing a copy of the iLife 09 disk from a 3rd party retailier like Amazon.com: ilife 09: Software or eBay.com. Why, because iDVD (and iWeb) was discontinued by Apple over a year ago.

Why iLife 09 instead of 11?

If you have to purchase an iLife disc in order to obtain the iDVD application remember that the iLife 11 disc only provides themes from iDVD 5-7. The Software Update no longer installs the earlier themes when starting from the iLIfe 11 disk nor do any of the iDVD 7 updaters available from the Apple Downloads website contain them.

Currently the only sure fire way to get all themes is to start with the iLife 09 disc:

User uploaded file

This shows the iDVD contents in the iLife 09 disc via Pacifist:

User uploaded file

You then can upgrade from iDVD 7.0.3 to iDVD 7.1.2 via the updaters at the Apple Downloads webpage.

OT

May 4, 2015 7:53 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hello, I know this is an old conversation but was hoping to get some advice. I am trying to burn a dvd iPhoto slideshow and I've tried every suggestion known. My mac doesn't have iDVD. I've tried Burn and Toast. The DVD burns but won't play in a DVD player...says invalid disc.

I've been at this for hours and hours as this is a senior class project. I've never had issues burning slideshows from my PC. Now with the mac I have been having such a hard time. I just got off the phone with Apple support for over an hour. They are stumped. HELP!!!!! This is so frustrating.

May 5, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Collette Mac

How old is your DVD player? If you used DVD+R disks it may not play in DVD players earlier than 2001 or 2.

Did you follow this workflow:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

If not describe your process. After you test the current disk in another player as TD suggested.

May 5, 2015 6:49 PM in response to Yer_Man

Yes, I have 2 in my house which work fine with other projects I did (not on my mac). I just came from a friends house who has a 2011 iMac (no iDVD though) and burned my project from her computer using a DVD burn program she has (which I used the same program on my computer) and brought the disk home and it does in fact play in my DVD player. It is definitely something Apple has changed in the newer versions. So frustrating!

When I burned a DVD with Toast, the Apple support rep was able to review the formatting with the computer sharing we enabled and he said it looked formatted perfectly, he is a bit stumped as to why it doesn't play in a DVD player.

May 6, 2015 8:59 AM in response to Collette Mac

I don't see File - save as disk file option when I click on file, "save as" is not an option. Do you mean right from iPhoto?

I would really encourage you to get iDVD. I own the alternatives mentioned above, they come nowhere near the power and ease of use of iDVD. iDVD is readily available, (because it is sold on disk) on Amazon as part of iLife 09 or iLife 11.

How to burn a DVD from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.