Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will gaming on my MBA 2013 generate enough heat to damage the cpu or the battery life?

I recently purchased a Haswell 13" MBA with the i5 CPU and 8 GB of RAM. I use it 95% percent of the time for work, and so maintaining the battery's capacity is very important to me. Right now if I'm writing on it with the WiFi off I can go two full days without needing to charge it, and I'd like to keep it that way.

That being said, I would like to do some gaming on it (WoW, StarCraft, Civ V). So far when these games are in use the fans kick in immediately and the computer gets very very hot. I know the MBA gets hot naturally when doing heavy lifting but I'd still like assurance that over long periods of time this will not damage anything. Also, if not plugged in the battery drops very quickly (an hour of WoW ate 60% of the battery).

Essentially I have a few related questions pertaining to heat and battery life, if you more knowledgeable lads and ladies would indulge me:

1) Will the heat from gaming damage the computer in any way, or is the heatsink built into the computer enough to handle these "hot to the touch" periods over time?

2) If the computer is plugged into an external monitor, and therefore closed shut, will the computer still be able to vent properly? Will the heat damage the screen if it is closed?

3) Would using a cooling pad with an external fan help at all, or could it interfere with the MBA's designed heat dissipation?

4) Will gaming while plugged into the wall (thus generating even more heat) damage the battery's capacity in any way?

Thank you all in advance for your helpful advice 🙂

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 6:43 AM

1 reply

Aug 1, 2013 8:16 AM in response to Dante1138

Obviously heat is a big enemy of electronics but people make too big of an issue about it, I think. Your computer's fans rev up as the heat goes up and if the computer approaches dangerous temps it will shut off. My 2011 doesn't seem to be any hotter when connected to the electricty than when on battery power.

Using it on battery at a desk or table you shouldn't need to be worried. If you intend to keep it on your lap just from the stand point of your own comfort a lap table with fan or fanless is a good idea.

Heat vents out the top and back - I'd recommend against using it shut while gaming. Obviously most games dont take advantage of having a second display but when I'm connected to my external monitor for non-gaming purposes I like having the second monitor.

Will gaming on my MBA 2013 generate enough heat to damage the cpu or the battery life?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.