Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app keeps saving downloads to Mail Downloads rather than ~/Downloads

I've modified Mail.app preferences to save downloads in the main downloads folder, ~/Downloads. But every time I double click an attachment, it still downloads to the wrong folder, Mail Downloads, in a terribly nested directory, ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail Downloads.

I've tried restarting Mail.app, I've tried restarting Mac OS X, to no avail. This is starting to smell like a constant's set somewhere, instead of referring to the current application preference.

Mail.app-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 7:51 AM

4 replies

Aug 1, 2013 11:04 AM in response to apennebaker

When you get an email with attachments, mail automatically unpacks attachments into those funky nested folders. If you open the attachment directly that's what it opens, because it assumes that you just want to look at the attachment, not save it. on the other hand, if you right-click and explicitly choose download it will download a copy into the downloads folder where you expect it.

Mail.app keeps saving downloads to Mail Downloads rather than ~/Downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.