Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't export to WMV from Quicktime Pro 7

Just prochased Quicktime Pro because its supposed to export .mov files to .wmv files. However when I choose File>Export movie to Windows media, it gives me an error:

Flip4Mac WMV Demo Alert

This Windows Media export will be limited to half the duration of the source file up to 30 seconds. To avoid this limitation, please upgrade to a Flip4Mac Studio product.

Why does this happen? I certainly do not want to buy additional software since Quicktime was supposed to be capable of this task itself.

Any ideas here?

Thanks!

Quicktime 7 Pro-OTHER

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 12:28 PM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2013 1:53 PM in response to Itsme787

Flip4Mac WMV Demo Alert

This Windows Media export will be limited to half the duration of the source file up to 30 seconds. To avoid this limitation, please upgrade to a Flip4Mac Studio product.

Why does this happen? I certainly do not want to buy additional software since Quicktime was supposed to be capable of this task itself.

WMV is a paid proprietary compression format originated by Microsoft. The free "demo" version to which you refer was originally provided so Mac users could view WMV contet for free and to evaluate its use as a sample encoder before purchasing a full codec package. Flip4Mac (Telestream) now handles Mac sales and support. Go to the Flip4Mac web site to select and purchase one of the paid codec component packages if you want full transcoding prevelidges.

User uploaded file

Aug 2, 2013 9:04 AM in response to Itsme787

Why would Apple list an export feature that's not included in Quicktime's native function?

QT apps/structures prior to QT X had/have a relatively open architecture that allows third-party codec components to be added to your system comfiguration for use by these older apps/structures. Over the years some third-party software suppliers have provided free playback components that included "demo" conversion and/or export codecs which Apple included in various pre-QT X upgrades. Most of these free "demos" included an option for the user to purchase the "full" codec version once the user has had a chance to use and evaluate the free "demo" components. (Sorenson, Microsoft, and possibly DivX or 3ivX being software providers that readily come to mind if my memory serves me correctly.) Thus, it was sometimes a good business move to allow Apple to pre-install their sample codecs in the hope of increaing sales to Mac users.

User uploaded file

Aug 2, 2013 9:20 AM in response to Itsme787

I just think these should be free, not additional fees to use them. When I purchased Quicktime, I was under the impression that it was a built-in feature. Especially since it's listed in their Export drop-down list!

And the software developers who own the copyrights for their software feel they should be paid for use of their proprietary codecs. For Apple to include full free use of these codecs would be a violation of the copyrights of the original software developer. The only other option would be for Apple to purchase a license for the use of such codecs and pass this cost along to the Mac user when he or she purchases the QT 7 Pro license. I prefer purchasing the codecs directly from the software provider so that I am not forced to pay for codecs I do not use on a routine basis—including something like the Flip4Mac HD codec package could conceivably double or quadruple the price of the QT 7 Pro key alone.

User uploaded file

Aug 2, 2013 2:41 PM in response to Itsme787

Itsme787 wrote:

Why would Apple list an export feature that's not included in Quicktime's native function?

Apple doesn't. The only reason it's in the Export dropdown list is because you have the free/demo version of the Flip4Mac codecs installed. You don't get an option for WMV export with the native version of QuickTime Player.

Regards.

Can't export to WMV from Quicktime Pro 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.