Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine trouble

Hello. I am having a little trouble understanding time machine for apple. Do i need to purchse an external harddrive and then register it with time machine. If i This is for my work and we have three computers, so if I do need to buy an external hard drive, would I need to purchase one for each computer? Thanks for your help!

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 10:09 AM

2 replies

Aug 1, 2013 10:31 AM in response to hilary5451

Although technically you could back up the computers to each other, that isn't a normally recommended procedure. An external hard drive is normally used. I would recommend 2 external hard drives so each computer will have two backups, which is safer than having just one since hard drives can fail or backups can become corrupted. When set up, the computers will alternate between the 2 external hard drives. You can back up all 3 computers to one hard drive.

The hard drives need to be 2 - 4 times larger than the total amount of data, from all 3 computers, you are backing up.

Information.

Time Machine Basics

Time Machine Basics (2)

Time Machine Basics (video)

Time Machine FAQ

Time Machine First Backup

The initial backup can take a long time, you just have to be patient. I would do the initial backup one at a time so you don't have 3 computers trying to write to the same drive at the same time.

Time machine trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.