Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Tiger direct on iBook or Panther first?

I have a 2003-4, G3, 12" white iBook, 800hz. I want to install an OS that will run some apps in the OS9 Classic enviorment.

I have a set of 10.4.2 G5 install discs from an old iMac, can I install these directly onto the iBook or must I have a version of 10.3 on there first. If so does it have to be 10.3.9 or can I upgrade from 10.3.5?

thanks,

Rob

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.3.x), iBook

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 11:25 AM

7 replies

Aug 1, 2013 11:26 AM in response to Rob Di Stasio

If the Mac OS X Tiger DVDs came with another iMac, you can't use it with your iBook. You will have to get Mac OS X Tiger in the Internet.

If you purchased Mac OS X Tiger for that iMac G5, you should be able to install Tiger directly. If it doesn't work, install Panther, update it to the most recent version using Software Update and finally, upgrade to Mac OS X Tiger

Aug 1, 2013 12:27 PM in response to mende1

The Tiger came with my other iMac so I can't use it directly onto the iBook.

If I do a clean install with the original the original Panther DVD's from the iBook and then use Software Update to get to 10.3.9 can I then use the G-5 iMac Tiger DVD's to the get the iBook from Panther to Tiger or do I need to get a special version for the iBook?

Aug 4, 2013 7:44 PM in response to Rob Di Stasio

In my experience, I left my iBook G3 800 MHz in Mac OS X 10.3.9 and bought an iBook G4 in order to run Mac OS X 10.4. As usual, when buying used iBooks on eBay, I chose ones which included the original system discs with it, even if that meant paying a little bit more.

Mac OS X 10.3.9 is perfectly capable of running apps in the Classic environment (assuming it as been installed) as well as booting into Mac OS 9. (With an iBook G4, dual-boot capability is lost.)

Do you have the discs that originally came with the iBook G3 800 MHz? I believe yours is a newer model than mine, and would have come with Jaguar pre-installed, so the original discs would be for Jaguar. Even Jaguar supported Classic Mode (as well as dual-booting between Mac OS X 10.2 and Mac OS 9).

When installing Panther, you have to check a box to install OS 9 drivers, if memory serves me correctly.

Install Tiger direct on iBook or Panther first?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.