Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station. Go to AirPort Service and Support for more information."

I want to extend my home wi-fi network using two (2) Airport Express units that I have. I have the instructions to do so but right off the bat when I access the Airport Utility I get this message: "This Version of Airport Utility doesn't support this base station. Go to Airport Service and Support for More information." I have one working Airport Express providing wireless at home and it works just fine. Not sure what exactly I need here.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 11:27 AM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2013 12:58 PM in response to Tesserax

The Express I'm using for my current base station is A1084 from 2005. The one I want to use to exrend my network is A1264 from 2008. Yes, the iMac is the only computer that will be used to administer the network, although other devices will connect such as a couple of iPads, a notebook PC, etc.

I found a similar problem with solution here that I've tried to implement to no avail. It calls for installing an older version of Airport Utility (5.6...) to work with Mountain Lion. I did this and the old utility recognizes the A1084 but not the A1264, and the newer Airport Utility (6.3.1) recognizes the A1264 but not the A1084! Is it gonna be this hard, lol? I don't want to buy a new unit since I already have both of these and they work well by themselves as long as I'm within range.

Would the A1264 work better as the Base Station and then extend with the A1084? Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time.

Aug 2, 2013 6:08 PM in response to Medusa26

Would the A1264 work better as the Base Station and then extend with the A1084? Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time.

Actually neither. That is because the only option to extend with "mixed" AirPorts is to configure them for a Wireless Distribution System (WDS). This has two major drawbacks: 1) The overall extended network can only operate in the 802.11g Radio Mode, effectively negating the advantage of the newer 802.11n Express, and 2) For each base station added to the WDS, the overall bandwidth is cut in half. So, with a maximum of 54 Mbps for an 802.11g network, your two base stations would run at around 25-27 Mbps at best.

At this point I would recommend that you get a second 802.11n AirPort for extending the network. You would also solve the issue with the AirPort Utility.

"This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station. Go to AirPort Service and Support for more information."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.