Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud is not accepting my password

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (4th Gen), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 2:23 PM

Hello BarbieABA,

Thanks for the question, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

The following article provides information relevant to your question:

iCloud: Account troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3988

I receive a "failed user name or password" alert when attempting to sign in at iCloud.com or using the iCloud preference pane or control panel on a Mac or PC:

- Ensure you are entering your entire Apple ID when you sign in (for example, if your Apple ID is "username@me.com," make sure you are not trying to sign in with just "username").

- Verify that the Caps Lock key is not enabled (all passwords are case sensitive).

- Ensure you are using the correct iCloud associated Apple ID and not a different Apple ID used for other services. For more information about having more than one Apple ID, see this article.

- If needed, reset your Apple ID password at iforgot.apple.com.

Note: If you use the same Apple ID for iCloud as you do for other Apple Services, (for example, Apple Online Store, iTunes Store, or Mac App Store), changing your iCloud account password also changes your password for the other Apple services. Make sure you sign in to those services using your new password. Also, be sure to update your Apple ID password on all of your devices and computers that may use your Apple ID (such as, any email applications that you use to receive iCloud email).

Thanks,

Matt M.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2013 2:23 PM in response to BarbieABA

Hello BarbieABA,

Thanks for the question, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

The following article provides information relevant to your question:

iCloud: Account troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3988

I receive a "failed user name or password" alert when attempting to sign in at iCloud.com or using the iCloud preference pane or control panel on a Mac or PC:

- Ensure you are entering your entire Apple ID when you sign in (for example, if your Apple ID is "username@me.com," make sure you are not trying to sign in with just "username").

- Verify that the Caps Lock key is not enabled (all passwords are case sensitive).

- Ensure you are using the correct iCloud associated Apple ID and not a different Apple ID used for other services. For more information about having more than one Apple ID, see this article.

- If needed, reset your Apple ID password at iforgot.apple.com.

Note: If you use the same Apple ID for iCloud as you do for other Apple Services, (for example, Apple Online Store, iTunes Store, or Mac App Store), changing your iCloud account password also changes your password for the other Apple services. Make sure you sign in to those services using your new password. Also, be sure to update your Apple ID password on all of your devices and computers that may use your Apple ID (such as, any email applications that you use to receive iCloud email).

Thanks,

Matt M.

Oct 28, 2013 5:42 AM in response to BarbieABA

Hi, Hopefully it works, I went into my icloud account @me.com click on I forgot id which then goes to Apple you then click on change password, it will email you. you then click on the link in the email and sign in with your icloud account, you @ me .com whatever is your sign in you can then change the password. I was making the mistake of signing in with my appleid as thats what it askes for, but sign in with your icloud id.

Hope this fixis it for you.

Oct 29, 2013 11:59 PM in response to BarbieABA

I get told that my Apple ID is correct but wont work for iCloud (which I am only starting to learn about so all very new to me!) What must I do?

Second question: I dont have any apple devices (except iPod and iTunes on my PC)..would this perhaps be the reason I cant connect?

Third question: Do I need to do upload iCloud onto my Galaxy phone also?

Help!

Feb 27, 2015 11:56 PM in response to BarbieABA

I'm having a similar problem and I hope someone can come up with an answer. I never set a password for iCloud (or Messenger) and so entered my Apple id when asked. It was not accepted, so I was the invited to lie and say I'd forgotten it and then change it - but the same thing keeps happening, over & over and over again. As soon as I think I've fixed it it happens again.

Oct 19, 2016 12:14 PM in response to BarbieABA

I sympathise with you. I had the same problem a year ago and it was driving me to distraction! I eventually got it sorted out - after numerous resets of my appleid password! I use a password manager, but unfortunately they don't work for apple passwords for some reason, so I had to write it down or try to remember it. I eventually chose one I could easily remember and all has been well since. I'm sure you'll eventually get it sorted, but don't expect much help from Apple!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.