Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create deep cinematic rumble?

I can't explain, but you often hear this deep bass rumbling in movies. Is there a particularly instrument, or do I have to edit the instrument/sound?

For what it is worth, you can hear the rumbling in Hot Fuzz, 19.54-20.00.

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 1:36 PM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2013 3:12 PM in response to Neguah

The deep bass is refered to as Sub Bass, i.e. the lower realms of bass EQ, i.e. 60hz and below, it takes some good equipment and educated ears to get the sound as great as the movies though. Not all speakers will cope when dropping down to 50hz for example so if you've not got that you're already in an uphill battle.

If you wanted that 'stomp' then you could find a suitable bass drum sample for example (That's as close to the sound you want), pitch it down so that it's still relatively clean and then EQ it to raise the sub (<60hz) gain. If you wanted that 'humming' rumble that is continuous then you would have to look for some harmonic synth sound with plenty of sustain and drop it down in to that range too.

Also adding reverb will add to the heaviness of the rumble.

If you have Kontakt that there will be plenty of libraries out there with ready prepared samples i imagine? like from cinesamples.com etc.

Bottom line is experiment with the EQ to get a feel of what 50/60/70hz sounds like. Logic is very good as you can adjust in real time and hear the results as you drag.

Aug 1, 2013 3:55 PM in response to skijumptoes

I have speakers and sub which will go far, far deep. No problem 🙂

I recently bought Kontakt 5. Just waiting for it to arrive.

I'll check out cinesamples.com, and also look for harmonic sync. But if cinesamples have got prepared samples, I rather go for that. But on the other hand, I could do well learning that.

Thank you very much for your great answer!

Aug 1, 2013 7:17 PM in response to Neguah

Hi Mate, Sorry i meant to point out Drums of War when i put the link up, yes that's the pack i had in mind.

By all accounts the original (and cheaper!) Drums of War is better if you want the most 'rumble' 🙂 ..how true that is, i don't know. I've heard/sat in on the original being used and it's a really big sound, you would pretty much be 90% there with it i'm sure.

Got no experience of the 2nd volume, sorry!

How to create deep cinematic rumble?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.