Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I find out how much icloud storage cost once the complimentary storage expires?

Where do I find out how much icloud storage cost once the complimentary storage expires? I'm OS X v 10.6.8.

Jeri

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 1:35 PM

12 replies

Aug 1, 2013 1:46 PM in response to oggjeri

Additional storage for Backup, Documents etc: additional 10GB, $20 p.a., 20 GB, $40 p.a., 50GB $100 p.a. (note that this is not iDisk-type storage for any type of file).

However you are not going to be able to purchase extra storage on 10.6.8 since you have no iCloud preference pane in System Preferences. If you don't have an iOS device I'm afraid you cannot proceed. Since Snow Leopard is not compliant with iCloud you can't have been making much use of it of you don't have an iOS device, so you are unlikely to have exceeded the free 5GB.

If you have an iOS device follow the instructions in this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5527

Aug 1, 2013 1:49 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

The 5GB is free. It doesn't expire.

He's talking about the free extra storage given to ex-MobileMe subscribers, which expires at the end of September. Apple have just started sending out emails about this so expect more of the same queries.

The message says:

As a thank you for being a former MobileMe member, you received a 50 GB complimentary storage upgrade when you moved to iCloud. Your upgrade expires on September 30, 2013.
When it expires, your iCloud storage will be automatically adjusted to the free 5 GB plan. You are currently using 543.67 KB of storage.
For more information, see this article.

(The amount of free storage will be different for different people depending on whether they had purchased additional MobileMe storage, as I did.)

Aug 1, 2013 3:24 PM in response to oggjeri

Obviously I'm not very computer literate. I keep saying I'm going to take some more recent classes at the Apple store but..... They did say that I was currently using 5.87 and so I would temporarily lose some data but what???? Will I lose, email, or itunes or pictures or ???? Below is all that I got.

"When it expires, your iCloud storage will be automatically adjusted to the free 5 GB plan. Note that you are currently using 5.87 GB of storage. If you exceed your storage plan on September 30, 2013, iCloud Backup, Documents in the Cloud, and iCloud Mail will temporarily stop working."

"To continue using these iCloud features without interruption, reduce the amount of iCloud storage you are using or purchase a storage plan by September 30, 2013."

Aug 1, 2013 3:47 PM in response to oggjeri

iTunes music is not a part of iCloud, so that won't be affected, but as you have a system that does not support iCloud (minimum is 10.7.2) I can't tell you what will be affected.

How are you using iCloud on an unsupported system, did you create an account on an iPhone? or are you not actually running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

Aug 1, 2013 4:27 PM in response to Csound1

It says I'm running OS X v 10.6.8 and I don't have an iphone. Could it be accessing your email by remote? I need to learn more about icloud. I don't have an iphone but I plan to upgrade from my Droid soon. I'm obviously getting way behind and I don't use my mac with my work so consequently, it hasn't been necessary up to this point.

Aug 1, 2013 6:06 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks, Everyone! I honestly don't know how I ended up with an icloud account either except I seemed to remember I did have a mobileme account when I first purchased my Mac (I think 5-6 years ago now) and I remember getting notices a long time ago that it was being converted to icloud. If I'm not mistaken, the mobileme was for accessing my email remotely when I travel. If I'm not able to use it with the system I've been running for two years now (Snow Leopard), I'm assuming I won't lose anything if I don't get extra storage. It's just strange that the email notice says I'm already using more storage than the 5 G minimum.....odd....hmmmm? I'm sure if I go to the Apple Store, they'll figure it out. At any rate, it doesn't sound very urgent. THANK YOU all very much! Hope you have a great weekend.

Aug 1, 2013 6:12 PM in response to oggjeri

Chris explained (thanks Chris) Mobile Me accounts were transitioned to iCloud when MM closed. I had forgotten.

If you are actively using this mail account the storage may be an issue, you won't receive new mail if the storage is full. You should be able to get some idea of whether this message is valid by going to icloud.com and signing in. Check Mail, Contacts and Calendars for content. Post back

Where do I find out how much icloud storage cost once the complimentary storage expires?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.