Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does the error (phone number) is not registered with IMessage mean?

What does it mean when I text someone and today I tried to iMessage that persons phone number and the texts are green and I got an error on the iPad staying that number is not registered. It was working last week.... I don't get it....

iPhone 4S

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 2:22 PM

10 replies

Aug 1, 2013 2:24 PM in response to catic

"Demo" provided the following in a previous post...

It means exactly what it says. That user has not registered and setup Messages on his or her device yet so you can not message with them. They have to set it up first before you can reach them. It does not happen automatically just because you are sending them a message.

Messages only works with other iOS devices - not Android phones - so the person that you want to Message with must have an iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone or a Mac running Mountain Lion.

Aug 1, 2013 5:06 PM in response to catic

catic wrote:

Oh. Why would someone do that I guess I could just ask him but I'm wondering. What's the benefit of not using it?

Maybe they were having problems and turned it off.

A benefit of not using it is they have an unlimted text plan and a limited data plan (iMessages are sent over data plan, not the text plan).

What does the error (phone number) is not registered with IMessage mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.