Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just got a new MacBook Pro. The raw file looks very dark and contrasted compared to jpg. This both with preview than with aperture. Is this normal??

I just got a new MacBook Pro. The raw file looks very dark and contrasted compared to jpg. This both with preview than with aperture. My camera is a nikon d600 Is this normal??

In the past I had a iMac and i didn't have this problem.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 4:20 PM

10 replies

Aug 1, 2013 6:30 PM in response to FM11

I take it you're shooting RAW+JPEG. The camera will apply styling to the JPEG in the camera, whereas the RAW is "untreated" coming from the camera. There will definitely be differences. What do the histograms look like between the two? Another thought ... you don't happen to have an Import Preset being applied, do you?

As for why there's a more pronounced difference on your MacBook Pro vs. an iMac ... less sure about that. Had you done any display calibration on the iMac?

-scott

<Edited by Host>

Aug 2, 2013 4:47 AM in response to FM11

Do you have a setting in your Nikon that is comparable to the Canon's "Preserve highlights"? With an in-camera setting like that, the camera will take the photos slightly underexposed, one f-stop lower than necessary and add an EXIF tag to the image, so that this can be corrected during the raw processing. Camera specific raw processing does understand these tags and apply a correction when processing the raw, but Aperture does not know all in-camera tags and so you will see the naked, underexposed raw. If you use these kind of in-camery settings increase the exposure slider value after importing the image, or even better, refrain from using in-camera settings when shooting raw.

Aug 2, 2013 5:06 PM in response to William Lloyd

Hi

yes is turned off. by the way i just got another problem with aperture. Selecting several picture and pressing "revert to original" only revert the first one!!!!! i have already checked that the "primary only" is not selected!!! this problem is a disaster :::: i should press "revert to original " one by one!!!

Aug 2, 2013 11:29 PM in response to FM11

by the way i just got another problem with aperture. Selecting several picture and pressing "revert to original" only revert the first one!!!!! i have already checked that the "primary only" is not selected!!! this problem is a disaster :::: i should press "revert to original " one by one!!!

Use the menu entry "Photos > Revert to Original".

I just got a new MacBook Pro. The raw file looks very dark and contrasted compared to jpg. This both with preview than with aperture. Is this normal??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.