Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move Images Out of Aperture Library

Is there a way I can move photos out of an Aperture Library to their own folder on an external Drive? I usually store my original images on an external hard drive w/a raid, but I noticed a few small projects were saved in the Aperture Project File.

I dried exporting originals and now Aperture won't show them. I tried to locate referenced file but I get an error message that says "No Referenced File" The Selection doesn't have any referenced files.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 7:46 PM

The command you want is Relocate originals. This will allow you to move the managed originals out of the library and make them referenced.

3 replies

Aug 1, 2013 8:03 PM in response to thomasmontalto

I found it very helpful to specify, for my own, use, exactly which entities I meant.

"Photo" has no fixed meaning in Aperture.

"Original" is the name Aperture uses to designate the digital Image files you import into an Aperture Library.

The program Finder keeps files in folders. These are different from the folders that Aperture shows in your Library. In fact, there is no relation at all between the Folders you create in Aperture to organize your Images, and the folders your create in Finder to store your files.

Exporting creates new image-format files from Images in your Library. You don't need to create these files if all you want to do is move your Originals to a location outside your Library. Use -- as Frank says -- "File➞Relocate Originals".

Your Library shows your Images.

Each Image has a Version and an Original.

Your Originals are never altered.

The first Version is usually null (the Version says, in effect, make no changes to this Original).

The Version (a text file of instructions) is always stored inside your Aperture Library.

Your Originals can be stored inside the Aperture Library, or outside.

Originals stored inside the Aperture Library are called "Managed Originals".

Originals stored outside the Aperture Library are called "Referenced Originals".

HTH.

--Kirby.

Aug 2, 2013 3:46 AM in response to thomasmontalto

I usually store my original images on an external hard drive w/a raid, but I noticed a few small projects were saved in the Aperture Project File.

To elaborate on Frank Caggiano's advice a little:

To quickly find all images that are still managed and need relocating, you may want to create a smart album (File > New > Smart album) with the single rule "File Status is managed".

User uploaded file

Then select all images in that album and use the command that Frank Caggiano mentioned:

File > Relocate Originals

I dried exporting originals and now Aperture won't show them. I tried to locate referenced file but I get an error message that says "No Referenced File" The Selection doesn't have any referenced files.

That is as it should be:

• File > Export > Original will export a copy of the original file. But this will not remove the original file from the Aperture library. So I do not understand, why "now Aperture won't show them"? DId you delete the image from Aperture after exporting?
  • File > Locate referenced file is used to reconnect versions with missing original files, if the connection between version and original has been broken. that will not work for managed files.

Regards

Léonie

Move Images Out of Aperture Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.