Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Export to Windows Format

Hi All,

I really like that QuickTime can easily and quickly record screencasts. But can someone please explain how I can save or export the resulting video in a format that will be playable on Windows natively? By natively I mean with no QuickTime, and no extra codecs etc. So actually all I want to do is be able to export a format that is the most comptaible across all platforms. I want to ensure that if I send a video of screenshot help to a client who uses Windows, that it will work without any problem at all.

The options in the export confuse me a little: "Movie", "480p", "720p", "iPod Touch & iPhone 3GS", "iPad, iPhone 4 & Apple TV". But on experimenting they all seem to export to .mov, and when I check that file format in my Windows XP install, it's not recognised. Is there a way to export to avi?

Failing that is there any other free or open source software that can be used to achieve this? I just need something really simple/easy.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 10:47 PM

http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac/overview.htm

Spend some money.

7 replies

Aug 5, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Manachi

I really like that QuickTime can easily and quickly record screencasts. But can someone please explain how I can save or export the resulting video in a format that will be playable on Windows natively? By natively I mean with no QuickTime, and no extra codecs etc.

The files should play "natively" in any Windows media player that "natively" supports standard MPEG-4/AVC video such as VLC. MPEG-4/AVC (H.264) video is most commonly wrapped in an MP4, M4V, or MOV file container. Since H.264 (MPEG-4/AVC) is the default video codec used by Apple (and most third-party) screen recording apps, if you want the finished content in a different compression format and/or file container, you will have to convert the screen recording yourself after capture.

So actually all I want to do is be able to export a format that is the most comptaible across all platforms.

Good luck! Unfortunately, you will always find a number users who have differing ideas regarding what constitutes the "best" compression format for this "cross platform" compatibility. (I personally am quite satisfied with MPEG-4/AVC since it is also used as a basis for Blu-ray and AVCHD content as well.)

The options in the export confuse me a little: "Movie", "480p", "720p", "iPod Touch & iPhone 3GS", "iPad, iPhone 4 & Apple TV". But on experimenting they all seem to export to .mov, and when I check that file format in my Windows XP install, it's not recognised.

With the exception of the "Movie" option which, if the original video and/or audio compression format are already QT compatible, can perform a "Save as..." action which merely copies the original audio and/or video data to an MOV file container, unlike all other options that convert the video to H.264 (MPEG-4/AVC). Also, you must have skipped testing all of the device targeted/iTunes managed formats which end up in M4V file containers. With regard to your "recognition" problem, what player were you using and did you also test the files with the extension manually changed to MP4?

Is there a way to export to avi?

AVI is a file container—not a compression format. If you want to create an AVI file containg a specific compression format, you will have to use additional software to convert the content. In many cases, the target format will likely limit your choice application. For instance, VisualHub (or MPEG Streamclip with a DivX component installed) can create a DivX/MP3 AVI file. QT 7 Pro or MPEG Streamclip can create AVI files using DV, DVCPRO, Motion JPEG, or Cinepak compression. Commercial converters may offer many other options. Your main problem here is that AVI is a legacy file container and most of the legacy codec components were turned off under Lion and remain off under Mountain Lion unless you've turned them back on.

Failing that is there any other free or open source software that can be used to achieve this? I just need something really simple/easy.

There are many options out there. For instance, does your "native" media player play H.264 (MPEG-4/AVC) content in an MKV (more modern than AVI) file container? If so, you could try the free HandBrake app to convert your screen recodings. As I had not previously tried this option, I created and posted an MKV anamorphic 2048x1440 (2560x1440) H.264 test sample file captured on my system. You can try downloading and testing it under your Windows OS.

http://downloads.walker4.me/downloads/Temporary_files/ScreenTest.mkv

User uploaded file

Aug 7, 2016 12:21 PM in response to Manachi

I think the basic question is: Is there a setting to record a quicktime screencast that saves as an MP4? I typically do the screencast and have to then convert in Mpeg Streamclip. This takes a lot of time than just taking the screencast!

I've "heard" that we can convert Audio Recording to Mp3 but opening in iTunes but I don't understand exactly the steps. I am wondering if this is something similar with the screencasts and IF the options in quicktime to export to iPad, iPod etc or Audio only do something like this for us so one doesn't have to take the time of converting in Mpeg Streamclip.

I hope my questions make sense!

Aug 7, 2016 1:36 PM in response to ScraPerfect

I think the basic question is: Is there a setting to record a quicktime screencast that saves as an MP4? I typically do the screencast and have to then convert in Mpeg Streamclip. This takes a lot of time than just taking the screencast!

No.

If you are referring to "standardized" H.264/AAC compressed data in an MOV or M4V file container or AAC audio in an MOV file container, then in most cases the easiest way to "change" an MOV or M4V file into an MP4 file is to simply change the ".mov" or ".m4v" file extension to ".mp4" in the Finder. (I.e., simply select the old filename extension, type ".mp4" and confirm that you want to use the new extension when asked.) Since most media players don't check file container internals to ensure the container format, such "changed" files play normally without problem. In those cases where a media player may actually check the container format or the source file contains extraneous data tracks which are not compatible with the MP4 file container, the recommended solution is to use the "Save As..." file option in an app like MPEG Streamclip to copy the H.264 and/or AAC compressed data to an MP4 file container. (I.e., this solution is much faster than "conversion" and strips extraneous track data from the target file as it is copied to the new file.)

I've "heard" that we can convert Audio Recording to Mp3 but opening in iTunes but I don't understand exactly the steps.

Audio files can be "converted" to MP3 from within iTunes or imported into iTunes as MP3 files. The key here is the CD "Import Settings..." preference selected by the user as depicted below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Once the "Import Settings..." preference has been set, then one or more non-MP3 iTunes audio files can be selected from within the app and converted using the "File" menu options depicted below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I am wondering if this is something similar with the screencasts and IF the options in quicktime to export to iPad, iPod etc or Audio only do something like this for us so one doesn't have to take the time of converting in Mpeg Streamclip.

Since QT X does not directly support targeted MP3 recordings and support of QT 7 Pro conversions appears to be in the process of being phased out, it is probably best to either use iTunes or a third-party conversion app to create MP3 specific audio files. (I.e., MP3 will probably be replaced by the more modern AAC MPEG-4 audio format for streaming and "fast start" web use over the next decade.)

User uploaded file

Aug 7, 2016 2:19 PM in response to Jon Walker

Thank you for your very clear instructions. I just tried the iTunes thing and it worked. (I clicked Get Info to know which file is the converted one.)

Are you saying I can send .mov files and windows users should be able to watch them in their media viewer without any conversion?

I also found in couple places (and someone replied to me) that all we have t do is physically change the extension. i tried it and sent it to a find and they couldn't play it. Anything to say about this?

Aug 7, 2016 2:49 PM in response to ScraPerfect

Are you saying I can send .mov files and windows users should be able to watch them in their media viewer without any conversion?

I'm saying the same H.264/AAC track data can be stored in an MOV, MP4, or M4V file container. Whether or not the data can be played depends on the media player used by the Windows user. (I.e., all three should be playable on a Windows system in a media app like VLC but might not be playable in other Windows media players.)

I also found in couple places (and someone replied to me) that all we have t do is physically change the extension. i tried it and sent it to a find and they couldn't play it. Anything to say about this?

Again, this depends on the media player the recipient is using. To be playable, the media player must support the file container, be able to decode the data, and be programmed to do both. Of the three file containers, the MP4 is likely to be the most compatible across platforms since Apple limits track data to MPEG-4 or H.264 video and/or AAC audio. As previously mentioned, if your recipient can't play an MOV or M4V file whose filename extension was changed to MP4, then try using the MPEG Streamclip "Save As..." File menu option to "copy" the MOV or M4V H.264/AAC track data to a new MP4 file as depicted below:

User uploaded file

As previously stated, this approach is much faster than using a "conversion" option since does not recompress the data but merely copies it from the old MOV file and stores the same data in new MP4 file.

User uploaded file

QuickTime Export to Windows Format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.