Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes rename files that are imported automatically although I set it not to?

Hello,

I am facing the following issue:

I set up an old MacBook as a HomeServer. Now I would like to use it as a media server as well using iTunes.

My problem now is, that everytime I put some music files in the folder which automatically adds them to iTunes they are moved to the Music folder and are renamed although I deactivated this option in iTunes.

I arranged myself with the fact that the music is moved but the renaming is frustrating since I would like to use a sync tool to manage my music.

Does anyone have an idea how I could solve this?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 12:38 AM

7 replies

Aug 2, 2013 1:48 AM in response to Klammerson

Not really, no. But I'm curious why care what the files are named? Why not just let iTunes manage the music and don't bother with what the files are actually named?

FYI, as long as files are in the location of the default iTunes library (ie: ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music) iTunes will rename the files to what the ID3 tags are. The only way to not have iTunes do this is to keep the files in another location.

Aug 2, 2013 2:01 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

I can tell you exactly why I don't want iTunes to manage my music completely.

I have all my music/fotos stored on a SD card so I have access to it anywhere I need it. I have a sync tool backing up my files to a NAS at my house.

My first intend was to access the music stored on my NAS but then I would have to manage iTunes twice (on my MacBook for traveling and on my HomeServer).

So I was looking for a comfortable way to have iTunes running on my HomeServer with a folder where I can put my new music. OK now you could say "why not just copy your new stuff there and let it do its job?". I want to have it automated or at least semi automated.

I store everything on my SD card and when I'm at home I want 2 sync jobs running. One to back up all of it and the other one to check which files are new and then put them into the folder which automatically adds them to itunes.

I could still live with iTunes managing everything the way it does but then I need to know how I can find out what is new in my music library on my SD card without manually checking it or creating duplicates in iTunes.

Wow... that was more text then I intended to write... whoops... hope I will be able to find a solution somehow.

Cheers

Aug 2, 2013 2:09 AM in response to Klammerson

Heh, no worries about the amount of text.

I may have some useful suggestions for you. To automate copying files to the SD card you could use a backup application such as SuperDuper or SugarSync. To automate copying new files to the NAS and automatically adding them to the iTunes library (in place) you could create an Automator droplet and perhaps have it fired off automatically by Calendar, say, once a day at 2 AM. Or something along those lines. You've got options to automate your workflow. It's just a matter of finding the tools that work for you.

Aug 2, 2013 2:15 AM in response to Klammerson

Automator can be quite a powerful tool that not many people know about.

For example you could create an applet that can look at a certain folder on the HDD, that when fired off will move any files to another HDD, then add those music files to the iTunes library and delete the originals. This could be done automatically at a certain time by using Calendar or Reminders to fire off the applet.

Why does iTunes rename files that are imported automatically although I set it not to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.