Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FIOS Wifi, using Airport Extreme for connectivity for Tivo & TV, failed. Ideas?

Here's my setup:

Mac mini connected ethernet to FIOS router. Router also running wifi network.

Airport Extreme connected via wifi to that network. Tivo and TV connected to the AE to get internet access for those devices.

My problem is that there is a green light on the AE, but I cannot get connectivity for the Tivo and TV. I've done some research and from what I can tell I needed to set the AE to Bridge Mode which I did, but still no luck. I could sit here all day and screw with the settings or I could just ask the experts!

Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 8:53 AM

Airport Extreme connected via wifi to that network

The Ethernet ports are not enabled when you configure the AirPort Extreme as you have done with a third party router.

Unfortunately, the AirPort Extreme will not be able to do what you are trying to accomplish using wireless.

Ironically, the less expensive AirPort Express will likely do what you want.....but make sure that you understand the store's return policy before you buy, if you want to give an AirPort Express a try.

Otherwise, connect the AirPort Extreme to the FIOS router using a wired Ethernet connection.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2013 8:53 AM in response to Robert Leffel

Airport Extreme connected via wifi to that network

The Ethernet ports are not enabled when you configure the AirPort Extreme as you have done with a third party router.

Unfortunately, the AirPort Extreme will not be able to do what you are trying to accomplish using wireless.

Ironically, the less expensive AirPort Express will likely do what you want.....but make sure that you understand the store's return policy before you buy, if you want to give an AirPort Express a try.

Otherwise, connect the AirPort Extreme to the FIOS router using a wired Ethernet connection.

Aug 3, 2013 3:24 AM in response to Robert Leffel

I would try to set up a MoCA network through you Cable TV Coax lines. It is faster than wifi

If you add an additional Tivo and want to strem between them, you will not be able to do it over wifi.

If you have a cable line that leads to your router/cable modem and one that leads to your Tivo/TV than all the lines are in place.

The latest Tivo Boxes have MoCA built in.

If you want more than intenet access to your Tivo. You could split the cable line at the tivo and place a MoCA network adapter at that end and give a wired network connection to any device at that end.

MoCA is the way to go.

Aug 3, 2013 3:34 AM in response to rmillsnyc

I had not considered MoCA before. Sounds like a great option, however, after briefly checking prices for an adapter it appears to be well over twice as expensive as the bridge option I've chosen. Although, I probably could come close to breaking even when I sell my AE. I don't plan on being in this house for much longer than a few more years so I'll probably hold off on that until I later.

Thanks for the reply though, that's a great option I hadn't heard of from anybody!

FIOS Wifi, using Airport Extreme for connectivity for Tivo & TV, failed. Ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.