Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sidebar: no Favorites heart icon or special Users icon

My sidebar no longer contains a heart icon for Favorites (from my Home Library) or the special icon for Users. Those folders are now plain, regular folders -- but the other sidebar icons appear as they should. This is the case for my Macs running Lion and Mountain Lion.

Is this normal? My Mac running OS X 10.6 still shows a heart for Favorites.

iMac

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 5:59 AM

13 replies

Aug 2, 2013 7:25 AM in response to XENiCraft

To be clear, mine weren't custom icons -- they automatically showed that way (a heart icon for Favorites, for example). All I did was drag the folder into the sidebar and it showed up with a special icon.

Do other Lion or Mountain Lion users have the Favorites or Users folders in their sidebar, and if so, what do their icons look like?

Aug 2, 2013 11:56 AM in response to DonnaR

Try deleting the com.apple.finder.plist.

You need to look in your user Library/Preferences for the .plist. Either hold down the option key while using the Finder “Go To Folder” commandand select your user Library in your home folder or use the Finder Go To Folder command and enter ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Force quit Finder (command - option/Alt - Esc) and test. If it works okay, delete the plist(s) from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist(s) to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you prefer to make your user library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

Show User Library

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.4. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

Aug 2, 2013 1:09 PM in response to DonnaR

If you've never had the icons, you can ignore deleting the .plist.

When I drag the Favorites folder to the sidebar, it is just a normal folder. Screen shot of what my sidebar looks like.

User uploaded file

Have you tried doing a Get Info (command - I) on the folder, unlocking the window and copy and paste a desired icon to replace the generic one? I think (can't remember) I did that to get the cat by my user folder. You can get free icons off the Internet. If you can screen share with the 10.6 computer you can try to copy it there and then paste in 10.8 or maybe you could copy the icon in 10.6 and email it to yourself.

Aug 2, 2013 1:22 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you very much.

Do you have a screen shot of the Favorites folder (the one from your user library) in the sidebar? If yours looked like a plain folder too, then I'd know my situation was normal. I don't see the Favorites folder in your screen shot above.

I did have the icons before, but then with system upgrades, maybe some folders don't look as they did. I know Sites is a plain folder now, where it didn't used to be.

I think Apple disallowed custom icons with 10.8, but maybe not, because you still have your cat!

Aug 2, 2013 5:22 PM in response to DonnaR

I took the Favorites folder out of the sidebar before I did the screen shot, but it was just a regular folder.

It appears what you are seeing is normal, but you can add custom icons as I describe in my last post.

I'm now working in my Snow Leopard partition and get the heart as you described. But when I do a Get Info, it appears as a regular folder, so you can't copy it from Snow Leopard.

User uploaded file

Aug 2, 2013 6:48 PM in response to DonnaR

No problem, glad to be of some assitance 🙂

Yeah I really liked my custom and coloured icons in 10.6! oh well. not much we can do about it.

just a note of warning, if you google coloured sidebar icons in mountain lion, there are many applications that claim that they fix it, but they are known to mess with os x and have broken people's installs to the point they have to reinstall, so i would seriously advise against using those.

However,that being said, applications like XtraFinder and Path Finder are Finder alternatives, which can allow you to customise your Finder safely. I have not had any issues with these applications so far. Just to let you know I am in no way involved in the products/companies, im just a happy user 😝. XtraFinder is free (here is a screenshot of XtraFinder), though less featured, it suits me much better than Path Finder, which is $40, but works as a completely separate application and allows much much more customisation.

I hope that helps.

xeni

sidebar: no Favorites heart icon or special Users icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.