Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot configure my AirPort Express (1st generation) anymore. Am using AirPort Utility 5.4.2 Setup Assistant. What do I do wrong?

I cannot configure my AirPort Express (1st generation) as base Station anymore. I had to reset it because I lost my password.

I first tried my IPads (IOS 6). These returned the message: Your AirPort Express cannot be configured with this software. Go to apple.com/nl/support/airport for more information.

As it is an old one, I have downloaded the eldest available AirPort Utility I could find on the Apple site (AirPort utility 5.4.2) to my computer. I ran the AirPort Setup Assistant wireless and the assistant found my AirPort named " Apple Network XXXXX". (I notes that the Assistant also returned the message: If this is not the AirPort Extreme you want to set up ...)

I clicked <NEXT>

After trying to connect to Network, I received the message: Cannot connect to network or there are no AirPort base stations on the network.

To be sure I retried running the Assistant after connecting the computer and the AirPort using an ethernet cable. The error message was the same.

What do I do wrong?

Am I using the wrong Utility software? If so, which version do I have to download and from where?

Is a first generation AirPort anyhow compatible wth 4the generation IPads or shoud I just buy a new AirPort.

I hope someone can help me...

AirPort Express-OTHER, Configuration as Base Station

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 8:16 AM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2013 6:18 PM in response to NLPuk

Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. You are correct. Your iOS devices will NOT be able to administer the 802.11g base stations because the version of the AirPort Utility that they use is incompatible.

For Windows XP, AirPort Utility for Windows v5.5.3 should work. However, v5.4.2 that you have should work as well.

Your XP computer needs to connect to the AirPort's wireless network BEFORE you can access the AirPort with the AirPort Utility. You may want to try connecting your computer directly to the AirPort using an Ethernet cable.

Cannot configure my AirPort Express (1st generation) anymore. Am using AirPort Utility 5.4.2 Setup Assistant. What do I do wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.