Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd Gen Apple TV missing most of the apps?

Hi,

I have a 3rd Gen Apple TV and I am missing nearly all of the apps.

I am signed into iTunes and also signed into Home Sharing with no problems. (the home sharing is off in the pic below becuase my comuter was turned off)

Here is a pic of my screen. Just 6 apps.

User uploaded file

And here is a picture of my friends screen who lives just down the road.

User uploaded file

I have checked the firmware and it is up to date.

I've been the apple store but they have got no idea as we live in Thailand and Apple TV has only recenlty been released here.

I've checked my serial code on the apple site to check it is genuine and it is.

But for refrence my serial number is DY4JD4PMDRHN

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 7:46 AM

5 replies

Aug 2, 2013 8:37 AM in response to Krungthep

Try unplugging and restarting it.

Many apps are populated via intertnet checks on what is available - if that was interrupted or problematic you might see fewer (only Computers and Settings appears when you are disconnected).

Also many apps can be disabled in parental controls under Settings - could someone have been playing with the system?

AC

Aug 2, 2013 8:45 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Hi Alley Cat,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried unplugging and restarting and no-body else has been playing with it.

To be honest I've been using it like this for the past 4-5 months without even realizing there were more apps. It was only when I was at my friends house the other day that I saw the difference.

When I firts got it it only had Movies-Music-Compuers-Settings and then a couple of weeks ago CrunchyRoll & Qello appeared.

I've seen some where on the internet that certain serial numbers were being recalled but I wasn't sure if it was true or not. It said check the 3rd and 4th alpha numerics and on their list there was J4. My 3rd and 4th are 4J.

Could that be anything t do with it?

Aug 2, 2013 9:03 AM in response to Krungthep

There isn't an official recall as such but supposedly there may be issues with wifi on certain models but details are sketchy and largely seem to be from rumour sites.

Check your Apple site to see what should be avaiable to you - is it possible your friend is using a proxy server or something to connect to another country to get extra services?

If not, I would reset the unit from Settings - if that doesn't help, connect it to a computer via a USB to microUSB lead and restore to shipping firmware via iTunes:

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV

Aug 2, 2013 12:46 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Thanks man.

I did a restore and got a bit excited because it took a lot longer than when I did the original set up so I thought it was working but unfortunatly it didn't work.

I'll try to get hold of a mini usb cable and do what you suggested.

My friend isn't using a proxy and I have another friend who also has all the apps. He's bloody clueless when it comes to technology so hismshould be pretty standard.

I'll also try apple again and see if they can solve it.

Cheers

3rd Gen Apple TV missing most of the apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.