Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall Mountain Lion without losing applications etc.

I am having memory issues with my Mountain Lion.

I want to remove and reinstall Mountain Lion. How can i do this without losing all my applications(in app folder and anything of value that should be backed up)?

I have Time Machine backup but if I did restore, it may restore the problem.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 8:34 AM

10 replies

Aug 2, 2013 8:53 AM in response to BGmail

The reinstallation will replace all Mountain Lion system files, preferences should be retained.

If you have 3rd party junk on your machine it will still be there.

Why are you reinstalling, it is unlikely to improve anything (this is not Windows), why don't you try to fix whatever your issue is rather than performing a palliative operation.

Aug 2, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Csound1

Once again thanks for your reply.

What I am noticing is my complete memory is being used up. I see this within Activity Manager.

I installed Free Memory program. It works in freeing memeory but when it is running it causes the machine to be at a stanstill.

Is there a Mac program that can diagnose activity manager to see what is causing the issue.

I run Firefox which I know is a memory hog. It is consuming about 2GB's. But what I am noticing is my kernel task is consuming huge amounts of memory and CPU processing time.

I did boot into safe mode and the mem issue seemed to be better.

Is there a quick way to see which program is the culprit rather than enabling one program and rebooting at one time.

is there a way to get into the Kernel_task process and see what is doing?

Reinstall Mountain Lion without losing applications etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.