Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 sleep/ wake button not working properly. Will apple repair for free?

So my iPhone 5 is starting to not work properly, mainly the sleep/ wake button. When i try to turn it on or off the button doesn't work unless i press the far left of the button then it will turn off but not all times. Can i take it to the apple store and get a free fix? I bought it through the apple store online in December. Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 1:45 PM

If there's no obvious user damage, your phone should be replaced free of charge. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar to avoid a long wait.

12 replies

Jul 12, 2014 6:58 AM in response to Chief286

Hi I'm from the Philippines and I bought my Iphone here in the Philippines.

I have called the local Apple technical support here for the replacement of my Iphone 5 due to its recall for the sleep / wake up button.

They said that my IEMI number or serial number was traced from Singapore and it is eligible for the recall.

Thus I need to go to Singapore for its proper assessment and possible replacement.

But that's absurd because going to Singapore just for a diagnosis and replacement of my Iphone 5 is unnecessary.

Can Apple do anything about it?

Hoping for your kind response.

Jul 13, 2014 6:31 AM in response to AmishCake

That's just ridiculous. If you're a businessman who travels then all of a sudden your iphone broke in the middle of the country where you are knowing that there's a recall then you will have a hard time.

Going to another country just for a replacement is absolutely ridiculous . Spending that money can just buy you a new iphone.

Anyways thanks for all your kind replies.

iPhone 5 sleep/ wake button not working properly. Will apple repair for free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.