Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 1 lost media, won't sync and won't play movies from iTunes

I tried to watch I movie through my ate last night and whilst I could see movies and play previews I could not access a movie to watch ( my account is fine)

Every time a tried it just kept the accessing iTunes message up for ages.

Then I noticed that all my media had disappeared movies music photos and tv shows

I then logged on to my computer to try to sync it back and it won't sync now either.

All of this work last week, I have not changed anything.

I run apple 1st gen TV have MacBook Pro which is connected vie Ethernet.

I have gone through so much trouble shootings but nothing works.

I keep getting the firewall error 3689 on my MacBook Pro but my firewall is not on never has been besides which I haven't changed anything so why would it all of a sudden change.

I have just run a diagnostics on my atv and it's says there's an Ethernet issue not sure what that means as it offers no help.

Any ideas anyone? I have three problems in one that are driving me up the wall.

Apple TV, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 3:18 PM

4 replies

Aug 29, 2013 12:51 PM in response to mario49

This is the standard Apple response. Check your preferences - settings and I bet that you will find your Apple TV is listed as 'synching' when in fact it is not. Also, if you go to the devices setting - the Apple TV will be greyed-out. I am having the same issues with my 1 gen Apple TV, i think Apple is just not supporting the 1st Gen when they roll out their iTunes updates.

The only workable answer I have found is to reset the Apple TV....what a great answer.

Hopefully someone else has found a better solution.

Apr 2, 2014 10:33 AM in response to plumpmammal

I had same problem. It would sync music and photos but not TV Shows. I found this to work for TV Shows: I disconnect the AppleTV from my Mac's iTunes library via the AppleTV. Then share my library in iTunes on the Mac (File-->Home Sharing) and , then reconnect the AppleTV via the AppleTV's "Settings-->Computers-->Add Shared iTunes Library" (not the usual "Settings-->Computers-->Connect to iTunes") where it should ask to type a passcode on the Mac you are sharing from. Then go to AppleTV's main menu to "TV Shows" and click on "Shared TV Shows" to see the TV shows on your Mac that are now shared. Be sure your Mac has the shows checkmarked that you want to stream. It seems Apple is not allowing us to copy TV content from the Mac to the AppleTV but is okay to stream it. Even reading this still sounds confusing, but now I can watch my iTunes purchased shows on my TV instead of hauling out the iMac into the living room to watch a show.

Apple TV 1 lost media, won't sync and won't play movies from iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.