Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want Apple to restore IPA fonts natively to OSx-10.7 and 7

As I work in multiple languages as a professional singer, I would like to see Apple to restore and include natively IPA fonts as they did in an earlier OS.

I've tried to jerry-rig getting them on to my cpu but the experience altogether very windows-like. Furthermore, I couldn't find a keyboard layout that was complete. How can I put pressure or beg Apple to PLEASE.....DO IT?

OS X 10.6+-OTHER, iOS 6.1.4, Include the IPA Font as a standard

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 3:40 PM

18 replies

Aug 3, 2013 7:46 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

I tried to write to apple directly but they now are confining such comments to just a few narrow subjects_ie hardware. I couldn't find a catagory which matched this request. Got any ideas where I could?

Aug 4, 2013 3:08 AM in response to Community User

mcchant wrote:

I would like to see Apple to restore and include natively IPA fonts as they did in an earlier OS.

Can you really not find them like everyone else does, using Edit > Special Characters? If Phonetic Alphabet is not on the list at the left, click on the gear wheel at the top right and select Customize.

User uploaded file

To input, select and double click or drag/drop.

For an iPA keyboard, see

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ipa-sil_keyboar d

Aug 4, 2013 12:51 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

They are not there in fact. These a special characters that you find in foreign dictionaries. Some are there but for instance not the upside down letter "r". If they are somewhere in the fonts folder, what are they called? Can I import them into my programs?

Aug 4, 2013 2:24 PM in response to Community User

mcchant wrote:

Some are there but for instance not the upside down letter "r".

I see Latin Small Letter Turned R (ɹ) and Latin Small Letter Inverted R (ʁ) in the 5th row down. Are these missing on your machine? Do you mean something else? Do you have other examples of things you cannot find?

User uploaded file

Perhaps you could refer to items listed on this page regarding things you can't see in your Character Palette:

http://westonruter.github.io/ipa-chart/keyboard/

Aug 4, 2013 8:51 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Those are some of them. I noticed from your picture that on the left column, you have many more font types than do I. mine stop at Latin and there aren't any more. When I did the update to 10.8 I chose to limit the asian and arabic fonts. IPA was not listed separately. Perhaps I made a mistake in not downloading all of them. If so, how can I now go back and download the rest of these apple fonts?

Aug 5, 2013 3:01 AM in response to Community User

mcchant wrote:

Those are some of them. I noticed from your picture that on the left column, you have many more font types than do I. Mine stop at Latin...

As I indicated earlier, you need to click on the gear wheel at the top left and select Customize. Then check the box for Phonetic Alphabet. Then you will have the same chart of IPA characters I have and you can tell me whether in fact any you need are missing. They should all be there already regardless of what you may have done with asian or arabic fonts.

Please do that and write back what IPA characters you cannnot find in this chart. For anyone to help you, you must be able to tell us what characters you cannot find.

I want Apple to restore IPA fonts natively to OSx-10.7 and 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.