Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skype says no connected camera

I'm currently taking an online ASL class using Skype. Randomly throughout the calls, my video disappears and says there is no connected camera. If this happens, I also get the same message from photo booth. Sometimes if I open photo booth, the video comes back, but sometimes not. Restarting the computer seems to help half the time, but not consistently. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 3:07 PM

19 replies

Oct 2, 2013 10:00 AM in response to EricWeir

EricWeir wrote: So how do you identify apps that are using the camera? ...

So look in the Dock for apps that are open: Use your Mac’s built-in camera

EricWeir wrote: ... And how do you disable the camera when you identify them?

And quit aa apps except the one that you need: "Your camera is in use by another application" message.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Oct 3, 2013 8:51 AM in response to EricWeir

EricWeir wrote:

With no apps other than finder and skype open, skype still says "no camemra."

It appears this is a problem with OS X 10.8.5:

<http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5216>

<http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/OS-X-10-8-5-broke-Video-on-MacBook-Air/td-p/18 91729/page/2>

Eric, you may already know this, but to try to clarify for other readers, I offer the following:

As stated in both links you offer, that problem is ONLY for MacBook Air running OS X 10.8.5.

These links have nothing to do with the question posted by the OP who is using iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2).

Therefore, neither of the links you posted are related to your questions to which I replied, (i.) how to identify open apps that might be using the camera, and (ii.) how to disable the camera.

If your question is really related to Skype problems with a MacBook Air running OS X 10.8.5, the links you post are relevant to that problem, but NOT to this thread; i.e., you are posting and looking for suggestions in the wrong  Discussions topic. Instead of looking in this thread, click here to -> take a look at the posts returned by this search.

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Oct 3, 2013 1:14 PM in response to EZ Jim

EZ Jim wrote:

Eric, you may already know this, but to try to clarify for other readers, I offer the following:

As stated in both links you offer, that problem is ONLY for MacBook Air running OS X 10.8.5.

If your question is really related to Skype problems with a MacBook Air running OS X 10.8.5, the links you post are relevant to that problem, but NOT to this thread; i.e., you are posting and looking for suggestions in the wrong  Discussions topic. Instead of looking in this thread, click here to -> take a look at the posts returned by this search.

Thanks for clarifying that. Should have been more careful. That is my question. I am using Time Machine. Unfortunately, I have no idea when Skype last worked for me. So the solulution offered in the posts at your link won't work for me.

Any idea when Apple and/or Skype are going to get around to fixing this? From the description of the problem offered by the Skype engineer a fix would seem pretty straightforward. It sounds like the missing plugin exists.

But what do I know? I'm not a software engineer. Fare from it.

Oct 3, 2013 3:18 PM in response to EricWeir

You're welcome, Eric.

EricWeir wrote: ... I am using Time Machine. Unfortunately, I have no idea when Skype last worked for me. So the solulution offered in the posts at your link won't work for me....

If the MBA/OS X 10.8.5/Skype workaround is properly done and still does not work for you, there must also be something more wrong with your system.

EricWeir wrote ...Any idea when Apple ... are going to get around to fixing this?...

No. However, even if someone posting here knew, we would not say and Hosts would likely remove answers because ¶2.1 of Apple Support Communities - Terms of Use prohibits speculation on future Apple matters. Apple will publish publish the solution at a time of its choosing.

EricWeir wrote:... a fix would seem pretty straightforward. It sounds like the missing plugin exists...

I agree that the fix is simple. So is the simple workaround in this link to Cybermaster's post for replacing your plugin. If you don't think you can properly apply the workaround, perhaps a Mac-using friend, family member, or computer club member you know can help you.

After you have applied the 10.8.5 / Skype workaround, use http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090 to find and correct any other camera problems in your system.

(Over time, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your Mac's built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

• If you need more specific help with HT2090, see the suggestions I offered to another MBA user here or ask someone for help.

• If you are still having trouble, start a new topic here to get solutions specific to your issues. Be sure to post the details of your problem along with which MBA and Mac OS X veresions you are using.

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Oct 5, 2013 3:12 PM in response to EZ Jim

EZ Jim wrote:

If the MBA/OS X 10.8.5/Skype workaround is properly done and still does not work for you, there must also be something more wrong with your system.

I agree that the fix is simple. So is the simple workaround in this link to Cybermaster's post for replacing your plugin. If you don't think you can properly apply the workaround, perhaps a Mac-using friend, family member, or computer club member you know can help you.

Thanks, Jim. The workaround was simple. I downloaded the plugin from the link provided with the instructions. Skype is now working for me.

Sincerely,

Eric

Oct 5, 2013 5:27 PM in response to EricWeir

You're most welcome.

Apple has now published the "OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Supplemental Update" to resolve the mid-2013 MBA known issue (and a few others.) Installing this update now should resolve your camera problem.

Apple recommends the OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update for all users running OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5.

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Skype says no connected camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.