Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad Graphics Card? Replacement?

Over the last 2 days my computer has been very, very sad 😟 Bad graphics glitches. Freezes. Bad startups, etc.

All my RAM seems to be okay, and my startup disk does, too.

So I was wondering if my graphics card had gone belly up?

I have a GForce 8800.

My buddy at work had a fairly new ATI Radeon HD 2600 HD, and he gave it to me today to test.

I came home, and swapped them out. But I get BLACK on my monitor. Nothing. Nada.

The Nvidia still works (although it gives me the glitches and the now-frequent panics).

Do I need a DRIVER for this ATI?

If I can't boot up 100% how can i hope to install it?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2008, dual 3.25, 22RAM

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 4:56 PM

Did you completely remove the AC power cord when you installed the new card, or just shut the machine off. Try removing the power cord, press the start button for a quarter minute, then reconnecting the AC power cord, then starting up.

Both of the cards you are dealing with are now certifiable antiques. Especially if you are using 10.8, you should upgrade to the Apple-firmware 5770, about US$250. It works in all models of Mac Pro and drivers are in 10.6.5 and later.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2013 4:56 PM in response to JungleNYC

Did you completely remove the AC power cord when you installed the new card, or just shut the machine off. Try removing the power cord, press the start button for a quarter minute, then reconnecting the AC power cord, then starting up.

Both of the cards you are dealing with are now certifiable antiques. Especially if you are using 10.8, you should upgrade to the Apple-firmware 5770, about US$250. It works in all models of Mac Pro and drivers are in 10.6.5 and later.

Aug 2, 2013 5:20 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the response!

I've actually been able to share my sreen via my MacBook.

It's pretty obvious that it WAS my old GPU. Ugh.

What's WEIRD is that I haven't seen my MacPro this FAST in a while! Its' pretty obvious that this card was on it's last legs for a while!

This "zippiness" makes me think that I could get a few more years out of this puppy yet!

🙂

Any other suggestions for cards?

I'm having a real time finding viable options that I KNOW will work with this 3,1 model. Not a lot of "enter your model, and we'll list the options for you" kind of sites. At least that I know of.

For instance, would this one from Amazon work?

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-GeForce-8800GT-PCI-E-PVT88PYDD4/dp/B000YB0BRM/ref=aag_ m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=ASA308HFU5YZ6

Again, thanks a TON for your help.

e

Bad Graphics Card? Replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.