Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I always get these error messages??

Here lately my Apple TV has not been operating properly and I always have to restart it. I keep getting the messages :Cannot connect to the iTunes Store," and "Server unavailable please try again later" What's going on with it?? Like I said, I always have to restart and I shouldn't have to do that all the time.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 8:26 PM

2 replies

Aug 5, 2013 3:11 PM in response to mario49

I spent the last almost 5 hours trying to figure this out. I followed all the stuff on the Apple site, all the suggestions when I googled the error message and talked to Netflix 3 times. When I finally found the way to get to a real human, Apple called back quickly, but wanted to charge me. I've been burned by this in the past, so said I don't think so.

Well, I FINALLY figured it out myself.

This was an iTunes problem. I've been paying $7.99 monthly to iTunes for my Netflix subscription. Netflix told me twice I had an active account, but on my third call to them and demanding to speak to a supervisor, that person said I did NOT have an active subscription.

I recalled an e-mail from iTUNES back in June that said there had been an error in activating my Netflix account and that they were refunding my account! But I spent days trying to figure this out several months ago and again in June and again today.

What I also figured out,that is NOT in anyone's algorithms, is that when they "refunded" my money (iTunes) they also CANCELLED my subscription to Netflix. I never authorized it be cancelled and I didn't know it had been cancelled.

How to "Manage" your subscriptions is NOT in any algorithms for all these Apple TV error messages, and it is pretty lame I had to spend so many hours trying every permutation I could.

So Apple, add THIS to your website and to your phone support people's algorithms,

If you have signed up for Netflix via iTunes (within AppleTV), go into your iTunes account, which is the very bottom button on the music home page, click on that and review your account. Click on the "Manage Subscriptions" button and then it will show you any active or inactive subscriptions. THAT is where I found my supposed Netflix subscription which I never cancelled had been cancelled in July WITHOUT my knowledge! The e-mail from iTunes explaining their billing/activation error did NOT state anything about my subscription being cancelled.

The ONLY reason I spent this much time on this is my 80 year old father WAS going to buy Apple TV. Not gonna happen now because of all these support issues. So, once again, Apple wanted to charge me for support when the issue was theirs all along. They only provide 90 days of support, but I didn't have this problem in the first 90 days. I enjoyed my first month free of Netflix. And then life and job intervened and I tried so many other times to fix this, but would run out of time, I just gave up. Didn't give up today. Extremely irritating. I hope this "fix" helps someone else, b/c if this happened to me, it's happened to other people.

Why do I always get these error messages??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.