Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote not working -- select/rewind fix not working

My Apple TV remote has stopped working. Long story that I will try to explain succinctly, but I have been using a powerboard that switches off my devices (TV, Playstation... Apple TV) after I turn them all off so they they are not wasting energy on standby. Anyway, I think this has interfered with my remote being paired to Apple TV, because the powerboard box lit up every time I pressed my Apple TV remote's buttons. The other day my Apple TV just stopped responding to the remote. I thought my remote may have paired itself with the powerboard somehow, so I pressed select and rewind and held them down. Instead of fixing the problem, this for some reason just turned everything off -- the TV, my Playstation, everything.

I ditched the powerboard for a regular one, so there isn't another receiver interfering with it. However, my remote still isn't working. Every time I press a button the hockey puck flashes three times at me. Nothing happens when I press select and rewind together and hold them for any length of time. I've also tried lots of other combinations -- select/right, select/down, select/up, menu/select. All nothing. Menu/select made the console flash continuously until I released the buttons, but still no response for general use.

It's a second generation Apple TV. I've only been using it since the beginning of the year, so it is barely 8 months old.

Please help as this is doing my head in and I have baseball and movies to watch!

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 1:17 AM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2013 8:58 AM in response to fish_stix

Hi, fish_stix.

When the Apple TV status light flashes three times, it means it has rejecting a command from the remote. I see you have tried some commands to pair the remote with the Apple TV. You can press and hold the Menu and Next/Fast-forward buttons on the white Apple Remote, or hold the Menu and right buttons on the aluminum Apple Remote, for 6 seconds to pair. Below, I have included a screenshot of this process.

User uploaded file

Apple TV: Pairing and unpairing the Apple Remote

If the issue still persists, see the article below.

Troubleshooting the Apple Remote

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1722

Cheers,

Jason H.

Apple TV remote not working -- select/rewind fix not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.