Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing Time Capsule from Internet

Hi,

I have a problem to acess my TC with MacBook Air or iPad from Internet.

TC (Version 7.6.3) is connected to Internet with PPPoE connection. How to configure TC to can acess from outside? Is it necessary to define a port?

Please advise, thank you.

best regards

Robert

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 12:40 AM

If the TC is the main router.. ie you are using pppoe client in the TC then it should be fine with BTMM and iCloud which is the easiest way to do things.. after all this is what apple designed it for..

You just put your btmm info into the TC from airport utility..

The MBA then connects using iCloud account.

iPad I am not sure.. I am ipadless but you may not really be able to link since the iPad does not use files in the same way.. and filebrowser etc use SMB which is not offered to the internet.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3486

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2013 12:40 AM in response to 999robfi999

If the TC is the main router.. ie you are using pppoe client in the TC then it should be fine with BTMM and iCloud which is the easiest way to do things.. after all this is what apple designed it for..

You just put your btmm info into the TC from airport utility..

The MBA then connects using iCloud account.

iPad I am not sure.. I am ipadless but you may not really be able to link since the iPad does not use files in the same way.. and filebrowser etc use SMB which is not offered to the internet.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3486

Aug 3, 2013 12:51 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for quick response.

Do I have to configure BTMM on my MacBook to?

If I am on a remote place, I can access TC using Air Port program, right?

iPAd: There is a software (GoodReader) able to acess with AFP, but when I enter my IP adress (found over whatsmyip.com) as URL-Adress it doesnt work. It only works in WLAN inside with lokal IP adress. Any more hits??

Thank you.

Aug 3, 2013 2:13 AM in response to 999robfi999

Do I have to configure BTMM on my MacBook to?

If I am on a remote place, I can access TC using Air Port program, right?

Yes, there are details on setting up BTMM on the Mac..

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4907

There is plenty of angst involved of course..

See

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3699096?start=0&tstart=0

For all kinds of issues that crop up.

Airport utility may not work.. in fact it is unlikely to since it is using a port not forwarded.

You are accessing files.. nothing else.

iPAd: There is a software (GoodReader) able to acess with AFP, but when I enter my IP adress (found over whatsmyip.com) as URL-Adress it doesnt work. It only works in WLAN inside with lokal IP adress. Any more hits??

Thank you.

As stated I am ipadless.. and not able to test any setup of any software.. you must google yourself.

Are you entering the address correctly.. ie

AFP://publicIPaddress

Do you have the sharing disk over WAN checked in the airport utility? See on the disks page of the utility. You will not be able to access it without that..

It is also a chance that enabling BTMM could stop direct access such as you are attempting with the ipad from working. Turn off BTMM before you start trying to access with ipad. It is totally different.. !!

Aug 4, 2013 9:18 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for your detailed advice.

I studied everything in detail, followed the instructions on TC and MBA side, doublechecked everything, switched TC off and on, MBA of and on,.....

I can now remote see my TC on the finder, but if I doubleclick, I get after 15 seconds the message "connection failed" .

Checking this support site http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1208, following the instructions, I am clear now, that I have a double NAT issue.

I dont know how to solve, because I dont have a router in my appartment (router is on providers side), only an Ethernet connector plug and on TC I only entered PPPoE/UID/PW.

Can I solve this double NAT issue?

Aug 4, 2013 10:08 PM in response to 999robfi999

Can I solve this double NAT issue?

The only way you can solve it is if the provider is prepared to give you a public address or port forward the ports you require and perhaps give you a block of IP addresses even if private you can use for all the items in your network.. double NAT is a killer .. once you have this issue the only real solution is to buy your own internet access like adsl for yourself.

Accessing Time Capsule from Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.