Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac crashes with graphical error?

User uploaded file

MAC MINI Server Late 2012

OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

PROCESSOR: 2.3 GHZ INTEL CORE i7

MEMORY 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD 4000 768 MB

Problem: My mac randonmly crashes looking like the picture above. I can't troubleshoot the problem. I always repair my permissions.

It crashes randomly when I watch on Youtube, or if I use Logic X. Today it crashes when i was about to minimize an application window as seen above.

When this happens, the machine will stay and hangs that way and the only way to use the mac again is to force restart from the power button.

I hope someone can help here. Thank you!

MAC MINI SERVER (LATE 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2017 2:32 PM

FOUND THE SOLUTION:

"replace the RAM!"

tried everything... but when i replaced the RAM. It all worked again! But not the HDMI, since apple replaced my logic board with a faulty HDMI port. Sadly I cant make them repair it again. Those Apple technicians dont know anything. lol Simple diagnostic.

NOTE: Im already on Sierra now! Everything works perfect. Except for HDMI of course.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2017 2:32 PM in response to Evil J

FOUND THE SOLUTION:

"replace the RAM!"

tried everything... but when i replaced the RAM. It all worked again! But not the HDMI, since apple replaced my logic board with a faulty HDMI port. Sadly I cant make them repair it again. Those Apple technicians dont know anything. lol Simple diagnostic.

NOTE: Im already on Sierra now! Everything works perfect. Except for HDMI of course.

Aug 3, 2013 10:52 PM in response to ROJH

It looks as if the Intel 4000 GPU is giving you fits. Are you still under warranty? You may have to have your logic board replaced if it is a faulty GPU. Only Apple techs have the diagnostic tools needed to properly diagnose the problem, so I would suggest a trip to your local Apple Store or an AASP to have the GPU tested.

Clinton

Oct 12, 2013 1:04 PM in response to ROJH

i have similar issue. I installed Lion on my older iMac (24" from 2008 i believe) and it worked fine for awhile, then it looked very similar like your screen grab. Graphic glitches and errors all over screen. It started small, but grew to completely crazy. I couldn't use it anymore, so i bought a MBP to use for work.

After having iMac sit idle for several months i tried starting it again today, but things are the same, maybe worse.

Im curious if you gott an answer from the Apple Crew? Is this a graphics card driver problem, a Lion problem or what? I dont want to haul it into apple store unless i absolutely have to, and if it doesnt cost too much. After all, this is an semi-old iMac.

Apr 16, 2014 9:40 AM in response to ROJH

UNFORTUNATELY, Power Mac ( Apple Store Ph ) repaired my mac but the issue hasnt been resolved. They said they changed the logic board but it has the same problem. Their engineers cant even see any problems at first and i have to give this link to them and a picture. After about a month they replaced the logic board. But it was all the same, maybe worst? My HDMI is not working. It has been 3 months since the repair, I tried everything on my own. Reset, Restore,Reinstall, Recover, Diagnostic Tool. No Luck. It has been a LOGIC BOARD problem i think. I'll surrender this mac again to Power Mac but maybe i have to pay this time since im out of warranty. *****!

Apr 17, 2014 12:31 AM in response to ROJH

ROJH, yes Clinton has it in one (-ish).

I had the same issue only worse.Soon as I saw your pic I knew it immediately. I had late 2010MBP, all was fine til eventually updated to LION (sooooo much hate,now overweight from eating the rest of the bitten apple in depression...).

All went to the doghouse! Warranty expired 4 days before going to Genius,was going to CO$T big to replace RAM, which was fried,replacement also fried within 24hrs,went back & they replaced RAM again as well as now fried Logic Board.

That lasted just under a year,but with constant same issues.FRIED.Replaced RAM & LB again,lasted 3 months, replaced again & lasted less than 2 wks.

APPLE know of the world wide problem.Inherent manufacture point fails of GPU batches during production.I completely believe it's not 100% APPLE's fault (especially all store staff & Genius'), & I believe in the "design fault",but via experience I also know any version of older hardware is & was built to run properly with the OS it was designed & released for & with.As soon as you start going up in OS the heat goes up higher & adds to the 'cooking' of your wonderful toys.

For me,& it has been for too many others,as soon as we upgraded to Lion all went downhill rapidly.

Leopard & Snow Leopard are brilliant OS's,but if you want to keep safer, more secure & optimized, we are basically locked into the "Retail" version of Moore's Law.

I know this isn't 'the fix' for you, but as least you have a better idea on what's really going on.Good luck!

Apr 17, 2014 12:39 AM in response to ROJH

Oh, do be careful with your usage, as you said other peripherals are now failing,...everything will start to fry, wifi, bluetooth, you name it.

PRAM & other resets will not work,sadly.

If everyone's still under warranty, make sure you get pics/vids/screen shots, even on your phones, & try to document every tiny little step you do from startup to the error.

It'll help the Genius' even just a bit,as your 'toys' may just refuse to go bad in front of them.

Your hardware & OS will usually pass ALL diagnostics & triage scans,when you need it to happen so you can jump up & say,"There! There it is! I told you so!".

My mac crashes with graphical error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.