Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme no longer recognizes or provides internet to wired devices

Not sure if it was the power outage or an update that is the problem; but, I had a 5th generation Airport Extreme as the center of my home network with a solid connection to the internet for both my wired and wireless components. A few days ago, after a power flicker (all components on surge protectors) my wireless internet would not stay connected more than 45 seconds before dropping and oddly, none of my wired components we showing up on the network or getting an internet signal from the AEBS. After two hours with my ISP technical support personnel we deduced that the problem was the AEBS and the modem was fine. I bought a new AEBS yesterday (the new long cube one) to use until my appointment to have the 5th gen looked at. Plugged that in and instantly my wireless network came back up - rock solid. However, anything I connect directly to the AEBS via ethernet does not get an internet connection or show up in the network. I searched for two days in these forums for a similar problem - but, have gotten nowhere. I used my wired connections for internet phone service and really need to get this fixed soonest. Much thanks for any help anyone can throw my way.

Airport Extreme Base Station-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 5:40 AM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Denayarb

Based on your description of the problem, regardless of using a surge protector, is it possible that the Ethernet ports on the various network clients that are not getting Ethernet connectivity, may have been damaged? Have you tried connecting any of these devices to another wired network to be sure?

Also, are the wired devices able to connect to the local network (and each other via the network); just not to the Internet?

Aug 3, 2013 3:42 PM in response to Tesserax

I have no other wired network to test it on - just my own. No other computers or devices that are hardwired show up in Finder. Cannot access my Tivo(s) or my home automation system, or OOMA (all hard wired). If I had to guess, I would say there IS NO wired network - nothing being assigned IP addresses perhaps. (Scratching my head). R/

Aug 3, 2013 4:36 PM in response to Denayarb

I would find it odd that you would have a replacement AirPort and still not have Ethernet connectivity ... but, of course, anything is possible. The DHCP service on the AirPort provides IP addresses to both wired and wireless clients by default so it shouldn't work for either if there was something amiss with it.

At this point, I would suggest that you try the following:

• Perform a "factory default" reset on the AirPort. After it resets it will default to its "out-of-the-box" configuration which is a wireless Internet router that will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a Network Name of something like: Apple Network NNNNNN.
  • Without making any changes to the AirPort, try connecting any of your wired devices to it. If it still does not get the proper IP address and network connectivity I would suggest that you try performing a complete power recycle of your networking hardware. Please check out the following AirPort User Tip for details.

Aug 4, 2013 6:14 PM in response to Tesserax

Had an appointment at the Genius Bar today. They replaced both my 5th gen and newest extremes. I haven't tried the 5th gen, but the new elongated extreme worked perfectly right at the get-go. What are the odds I would get a bad one the other day? Problem solved. Note: the newest extreme is prompting me to upgrade. I am reluctant since all is working fine now. Sad, huh. Much thanks for all your help. Doing what you suggested helped save time with the genius today.

Airport Extreme no longer recognizes or provides internet to wired devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.