Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you hide the 'Album by Artist' column

I recently bought a brand new MBP and the default iTunes layout is slightly different to how it was on my previous MB. When in songs view, in the main music window, i used to have 3 columns- Name, Artist, Album but on my new MBP, there are 2 additional columns on the far left. One is named 'Album by Artist' and seems to be a sorting option and also displayes album artowrk. The other has no title, but seems to be displaying the tack number in that particular album.

I have tried editing the view options, but there isn't an option for the 'Album by Artist' column to take it off. There is a 'Track Number' option, but it refers to a seperate track number column. Does anyone know how to get rid of these? The 'Album by Artist' one is the most annoying as it takes up a lot of room.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 8:46 AM

7 replies

Aug 3, 2013 9:21 AM in response to hughgb

The 'Album by Artist' one is the most annoying as it takes up a lot of room.

Click on the Album column header. It will cycle between Album > Album by Artist > Album by Artist/Year back to Album.

You can drag the little vertical bar between column headers to resize the columns.

You can right click (or control click) in the column header to add/remove any columns.

Also, two finger tap on the track pad is right click. THis is set up in Syste, prefs > Trackpad.

Might also want to update your signature.

You stated you have a brand new MacBook Pro yet you list 10.5.8 (which is incorrect).

Aug 3, 2013 9:44 AM in response to hughgb

hughgb wrote:

I've got the Album by Artist and a seperate album column though..only wanted Name | Artist | Album | Time if possible.

This is what I have at the moment...

User uploaded file

So you do not want to view the first column with artwork?

iTunes menu View > View options.

Uncheck Show artwork.

I'd like as close to the layout of iTunes 10 as possible if that makes sense..

Considering I don't know how you had it layed out in iTunes 10...

My iTunes 10 looks exacly like you have above.

Aug 25, 2013 9:47 AM in response to hughgb

I would like to retain the artwork column as that was the whole reason for updating to 11.0.5.5, but lose the pointless unheaded "track no." column that seems glued to it. I can't make it smaller, I can't move it over to the right and I can't remove it. It's so irritiating as it is taking up a lot of width on my screen. No idea why they've inserted it when there is a "tickable" track no. column that users can choose if they want. I'm also irritated that I still can't make the left hand menu column narrower beyond a certain point. Am I missing options for all of these or are we just stuck with this view and the option to check or uncheck "show artwork" in songs?

Pay attention Apple, so many of us want the old views back!

How do you hide the 'Album by Artist' column

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.