6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2013 8:18 AM by NFLfan
cynjam Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My daughter is using her iPad at school and they want her to delete all her games.  Rather than go to that extreme, is there a way to restrict her access to certain apps with a password?  That way she will have to ask us to unlock the games and won't be tempted to play them at school.  Help is appreciated.

FYI: Parental controls don't allow you to specify apps, just general restrictions.  And Kid Mode, just restricts things within an app but allows you to open it and use it.

iPad 2, Mac OS X (10.6)
  • 1. Re: How do I lock apps on the ipad?
    King_Penguin Level 10 Level 10 (95,230 points)

Unless the games/apps themselves have a passcode lock option within them then no, you can't, there isn't the ability to lock apps or app folders.

With the 'Guided Access' function in iOS 6 you can limit her to one app - from http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#accessibility :

It allows a parent, teacher, or administrator to limit an iOS device to one app by disabling the Home button, as well as restrict touch input on certain areas of the screen

That is pretty much all you can currently do, and I haven't seen anything mentioned in iOS 7 (to be released in the Autumn) that will change that.

• 2. Re: How do I lock apps on the ipad?
    cynjam Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for your fast response!  I have another question.  People mention Cydia as a way to lock apps, but I'm confused as to whether or not it will really do that.  I think what you are saying is that there really isn't a way to lock specifc apps, correct?

What about putitng all the apps into one folder and then getting an app (which one?) that could password protect that folder with the apps inside?  I haven't see a file protection app that allows you to put apps in the folder, but maybe I haven't found the right one.

Thanks so much in advance for these questions.

• 3. Re: How do I lock apps on the ipad?

Cydia means jailbreaking your iPad, which will void your iPad's warranty, will open up your iPad to viruses and malware, and you will no longer get support from Apple or these forums.

In terms of an app to lock a folder then that isn't possible. The iPad's operating system is a sandboxed system, so no third-party app can lock another app or an app folders.

• 4. Re: How do I lock apps on the ipad?
    cfoley96 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Well in the restrictions, you can "delete" a few apps like photos and safari, but then get them back. There are also time limits in settings to make it so she an only use her iPad after school hours. If you jailbreak the iPad you can get kicklock, which locks all of your apps with a password. The only con to that is what King_Penguin said.

• 5. Re: How do I lock apps on the ipad?

You can hide the Camera and FaceTime apps via Restrictions, but not Photos. The only time setting that I'm aware of in Settings is for Do Not Disturb so that incoming FaceTime calls are silent  - and the daughter needs to be able to use the iPad during school hours anyway.

• 6. Re: How do I lock apps on the ipad?
    NFLfan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Take a look at an App called Parentkit for iPhone.