Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac book pro Retina 15 boot camp win 8 overheating issue

I just bought my mac book pro 15 in , top specs : i7 500GB 16RAM 1GB GRAPGICS.. and I was really happy until..

I have installed parallel 8 and installed windows 8 original ! then i installed games in win 8 to try play some like for example assassin creed 3 , the graphics is a failure ! the games did not work at all , I mean they all just either crashed or I’ve got a frozen screen.

And believe me guys I have increased the ram and the graphic video to MAX with in the MAC OS in the virtual machine option which belongs to parallel 8 program but with no success.

Then , I decided to delete the parallel program and boot camp win 8 in which I did. I have installed the same games and start playing for the first 20 min that’s when I noticed My Mac is heating up and I can hear my laptop fan’s load and clear, the voice was very load and the heating did not stop. I decided to stop playing .. I was a fried the laptop will burn.

Now, I have deleted the boot camp partition and turn back to MAC OS .. but I cant play the games I like because of over heating…

Please Apple & people .. whats the solution for it and how can I over come this problem ?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 11:40 AM

6 replies

Aug 5, 2013 4:11 PM in response to mario49

i am sorry mario49 , your solution is great but its not helping.

because My Mac is up to date and brand new ..

only when i am playing any game either in bootcamped WIN8 or Mac OS at all the whole area in my laptop which is under the screen becomes really hot !! until i quit the game .. only then Mac become cooler in seconds ...

is this is normal ? what if i play for 1 or more hour straight ( which i never try) what would happen .. may i lose my Mac ?

and why its getting that Hot ! is it happening with other MAC PRO users ?

Aug 5, 2013 7:09 PM in response to Hmmrm

Hmmrm wrote:

...is this is normal ? what if i play for 1 or more hour straight ( which i never try) what would happen .. may i lose my Mac ?

and why its getting that Hot ! is it happening with other MAC PRO users ?

You won't lose your Mac because it'll shut down before it destroys itself. But that kind of heat isn't good for it either. The rMBP really isn't the best laptop for gaming because of the heating problems you're experiencing. At the same time, it's possible to increase the fan speeds beyond what Apple thinks is sufficient with the use of smcFanControl. That will help keep your rMBP cooler at the expense of more fan noise.

Another thing to consider is what you're using the rMBP on. There are very fine air intake slots along the side edges very near the bottom of the Mac, and if you have it resting on anything other than a hard flat surface, they're probably blocked.

BTW, it doesn't affect MAC PRO users as much because Mac Pros weigh upwards of 50 lbs. and have six fans to keep the computer cool. You have a MacBook Pro with Retina display, which is a lot easier to lift.

Oct 7, 2014 10:44 PM in response to Hmmrm

Hi Hmmrm,

I know that this thread is pretty old, but I just wanted to post his incase anyone else comes across it or you are still having this issue.

1) By default Windows has some energy-saving settings that cause the Mac to use passive cooling (without fans) in stead of active cooling (with fans).

When you first install Boot Camp, there is a very high probability that under some conditions your Mac will use passive cooling, which would cause sit to get pretty hot.

All you have to do to fix this is change the setting in the Control Panel; see this site for details on how to change these.

2) But the thing that will help most is dialing down your CPU. By default, Windows is set to allow you to use 100% of your CPU. This is good for short CPU-intensive tasks, but if you're playing video games for an extended period of time or doing some serious long-duration work, it can make your computer get very hot (and waste an unnecessary amount of energy).

I usually keep my max cpu power between 73 to 93% when working and gaming, but I have quite often taken it down as low as 30% while doing mundane internet and text-related work, without any serious loss of productivity. Gamingwise, I would recommend you start at 75% and go up or down from there based on your own judgement. You can access these settings by going to Maximum Processor State in the same window that you used to turn on Active Cooling (see the above link).

This article talks about these cpu power settings as well as some other suggestions. I agree with most everything they say (though some things are a little unnecessary). I would caution you about Tip #3 though; it is true that this does help temporarily, but in the long run it only delays the inevitable as I am about to mention below:

3) Make sure your computer is 100% charged and plugged in when you start playing. The reason this is important is that if you start running low on battery and decide to charge your computer while playing, you will be putting a lot more thermal load on your computer. Not only will you be drawing a large amount of energy for the CPU but you will also be drawing power to charge the battery at the same time.

4) I should mention that I crashed my old laptop many times due to overheating, and it still works perfectly even to this day (and that computer is more than seven years old!). So yes, overheating can be bad, but computers nowadays will generally turn themselves off before any serious damage can be done.

5) As mentioned in Tip #5 of the second link, use a cooling pad. Those things are wonderful. I almost never do any long duration CPU intensive work without one. It does not cool you computer down all the way, but, buying this cooling pad stopped the heat-related crashes on my older laptop so now I use it even on my new MBPr, just in case. 🙂

Hope this helps!

Vlad

Oct 21, 2014 11:55 PM in response to KindnessIsNiceDuh -K.I.N.D.-

Following the tips in the link you provided has helped reduce my mac book pro retina's heat while running windows 8.1 via boot camp.

Window's default is to use passive cooling while running on batteries (at least in my case). I changed the setting to use active cooling (fans) even if running on battery. I also tweaked the CPU power settings down.

Mac book pro Retina 15 boot camp win 8 overheating issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.