Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Building a Home Page for Safari

Excuse me if this is a duplicate. I thought I had posted it earlier, but I don't see it now. Anyway, I need to create a useful and attractive Home Page for Safari, and I would appreciate templates or instructions for doing so. Any ideas?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 11:53 AM

14 replies

Aug 3, 2013 2:18 PM in response to Meg The Dog

I'd like it so that when I click on Safari, the page that comes up (My Home Page) has useful sections like weather, news, stock market reports, etc.The actual content is not that imporrtant, what I really need is a foundation for those things I might decide to add. I might add that I have Opera, Firefox, and Google Chrome in my dock as fallback browsers, and for other reasons. For example, sometimes it's covenient to have more than once browser on the screen at the same time. Anyway, I have Home Pages for each of those other browsers, some quite simple, but others, Google Chrome, for example, is completely filled with tables, etc. that I like to be able to refer to.

Aug 3, 2013 2:35 PM in response to Niku

Your home page IS a website. 99% of the time, content you see on a browser is something loaded from a site on the Internet. So most people simply choose what existing website they want to see when Safari opens up - a news site, etc.

Google has a section of their site (called iGoogle) which you can customize with widgets such as news snippets, sport, clock, etc. You might look at that to see if it meets your needs.

Or of course you could create your own personal website and set that as your home page - but that's kind of a lot of work if all you need is a homepage.

Matt

Aug 3, 2013 2:50 PM in response to Matt Clifton

Okay, I think that did it. Now that you mention it, I dimly recall this from years ago when I was last interested in the subject. It came up again yesterday when I was seeing unaccoutable (to me) messages on my Home Page; then, after I tinkered with that for longer than I care to admit, the screen went completely blank. I needed some answers and quickly, and I think you've supplied them. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

Aug 3, 2013 4:09 PM in response to Niku

Your question gave me the urge to experiment.

It is easy to create a page in Pages, or Bean, or whatever, save it to pdf and put it on your computer. Then right click that page and go to "open in" and have it open in Safari.

Once it does, go to Safari Preferences, click on use this page as my homepage, and from then on your created pdf page will be your homepage. You can create something with photos and links and whatever, and turn it into a variation of refdesk if you want.

Kind of fun, though I like the simplicity of Google as my homepage. Give me a chance to get lost in the web and I sometimes don't pick my head up for an hour, just wandering around.

Hugh

Aug 3, 2013 4:30 PM in response to hughmass

Yeah, you've put your finger on a serious problem I have, spending too much time on the computer. Sure, it's fun, and it's interesting, but I have many other things that really need doing. Well, I just installed a basket of time, and head, management tools, and I hoping that they will help me stop curtail this time-wasting. I'll see how the programs look but, one-way-or-another, I have to cut down on the time i spend here, AND I WILL.

Building a Home Page for Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.