Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What actually is QuickTime and how is it related to .mov?

I'm trying to find out what a MOV file is. Wikipedia is usually pretty good, but not in this case. No article on MOV. I was directed, instead, to Quicktime. And from there I came away with the knowledge that Quicktime is an "extensible multimedia framework". Well, blow me down.

In the article, there is no direct tie with MOV. Even Apple does not tie it directly to MOV. It is implied, by the title of an article about FCP, that QuickTime has formats other than MOV (else why would it say "movie file format").

The QuickTime Movie File Format

The QuickTime movie file format, often abbreviated to QuickTime file, is a special file format that contains multiple tracks for storing different kinds of media. Don’t confuse this special movie file format with other files that are simply QuickTime-compatible formats. Examples of QuickTime-compatible file formats include AIFF, MP3, MPEG, WAVE, JPEG, and TIFF, just to name a few. A QuickTime movie file uses a .mov file extension.

My question is: do all QuickTime containers have the extension MOV? Are there any other types? For instance, is there a QuickTime sound file format with a different extension?

I'm confused. Shouldn't the Wikipedia article state that a file in QuickTime format always comes in a MOV container, and shouldn't the FCP article (quoted above) simply say "The QuickTime File Format"?

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 1:15 PM

4 replies

Aug 3, 2013 5:04 PM in response to Guy Burns

Is it correct to say that Quicktime only has one type of container?

No, it would be more correct to say that MOV file type is the "generic" QuickTime file container. Many file types are supported dependent on the QT app in use and the system's QT codec component configuration. Any data format compatible with a user's QT codec component configuration can be placed into the MOV file container which may support up to 99 tracks of data. Data stored in other file types can be copied to the MOV file container without being transcoded.

That a MOV file must be QuickTime, and QuickTime only has one option for a container: MOV.

Any MOV file may be referred to as a "QuickTime" whether the data contained is supported by the basic OS configuration, supported by Apple components installed as part of user installed applications, or add-on third-party open or proprietary codec components or packages installed by the user. As a result, MOV files created on one system may or may not be compatible with other systems even though the data is contained in the MOV file container. In addition, MOV files created in one version of the QT player (e.g., "muxed" MPEG-2 encoded video placed in an MOV file container by QT 7 Pro) may not be compatible with another QT player app (e.g., QT X player) even though the data format is supported. (I.e., in this example the QT X player does not seem to be programmed to invoke the MPEG-2 codec for MOV or VOB file containers.)

Media formats supported by QuickTime Player

User uploaded file

Aug 3, 2013 6:58 PM in response to Guy Burns

QuickTime is a structure (set of compression, decompression, and rendering routines) which is embedded in all current Mac OS X platforms. It can be accessed by any QT-based GUI app like QT 7, QT 7 Pro, QT X, iMovie, FCP, Compressor, GarageBand, SoundTrack, iTunes, Preview, etc. as needed in support of a system's QT codec component configuration. On the other hand, the MOV file extension refer's a generic file container that may contain up to 99 tracks of data supported by the embedded QT structure and codec component configuration. These tracks can contain anything from audio and/or video to text and/or images to sprites and/or 'tweening instructions and are not confined to specific compression formats which are frequently associated with a specific file container or extension. In some whays you might consider it the QT equivalent of the PC's generic legacy AVI file container or the newer MKV file container.

My question is: do all QuickTime containers have the extension MOV? Are there any other types? For instance, is there a QuickTime sound file format with a different extension?

To answer that question you will have to define what you mean by a "QuickTime container." All MOV files are referred to as QT files whether the content is native to a particular Mac OS X system or encoded using a third-party proprietary codec component. Most other extensions refer to the particular type of compressed data or class of data normally contained within the file container. Therefore, if you are using the term "QT container" to refer to files that are natively compatible with QT-based apps, the QT embedded structure, and a particular QT codec component configuration, then there are several that support audio and/or video content. However, since any compressed data can be copied from its original file container to an MOV file container without recompressing the data using the "Save As..." option, I would have to say that the MOV container is, by far, the most common QT file extension—especially if the user has edited the content in any way, shape, or form and then saved the results.

I'm confused. Shouldn't the Wikipedia article state that a file in QuickTime format always comes in a MOV container, and shouldn't the FCP article (quoted above) simply say "The QuickTime File Format"?

Not at all. Your work flow will usually determine the file format. For instance, using QT 7 Pro (or GarageBand) you can create an H.264/AAC video file that ends in an MOV, M4V, or MP4 file container—all depending on how you chose to export the data.

User uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.