Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 is a bag of hurt in Snow Leopard (multiple bugs) - Fixes? Workarounds?

iTunes 11 is a bag of hurt in Snow Leopard (multiple bugs) - Fixes? Workarounds?

I had been using iTunes 11.0.2 in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on early 2011 Mac Book Pro. When I went to iTunes store on August 1, it would no longer display the iTunes store, it shows just a blank white screen. Upgrading to the current iTunes 11.0.4 does not help, I still get white screens when I try to go to the iTunes store. If I run iTunes 11.0.2 on a different Lion machine it displays the store just fine.

Before this crippling issue began, I was having two other problems with iTunes 11.

1) When I was able and did view app descriptions in the iTunes store, I would try to click on the links for reviews, or related apps, etc, and none of the links worked. This problems also does not occur in Lion.

2) Also, I really do not like the new app sync buttons, "Remove", "Will Remove", "Update", "Will Update". Sometimes iTunes becomes confused on the state of an app, especially when I sync two devices to have the same apps on each. Also, when I have many apps, its a pain to find and click all the "Update" buttons to make them say "Will Update" as I have to read the buttons closely. There should at least be a way to sort the apps by status so I can see all the ones that say "Update" together.

I am on Snow Leopard because I have some Mac apps that still require Rosetta and I do not wish to upgrade. However, it seems that even though Apple says iTunes is compatible with Snow Leopard, they are doing a poor job of testing it in Snow Leopard.

Anyone else seeing these issues with iTunes 11 in Snow Leopard? Any Fixes? Or Workarounds?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 9:52 PM

7 replies

Aug 3, 2013 10:04 PM in response to tkoyn

tkoyn wrote:

2) Also, I really do not like the new app sync buttons, "Remove", "Will Remove", "Update", "Will Update". Sometimes iTunes becomes confused on the state of an app, especially when I sync two devices to have the same apps on each. Also, when I have many apps, its a pain to find and click all the "Update" buttons to make them say "Will Update" as I have to read the buttons closely. There should at least be a way to sort the apps by status so I can see all the ones that say "Update" together.

You are simply not understanding how app updating works in iTunes 11. Apple has changed it up a bit. When viewing your apps in iTunes, along the top, directly under the LED display click the "updates" tab. This will show you all the apps that have available updates. Then click the "update" button in the lower right of the screen.

tkoyn wrote:

1) When I was able and did view app descriptions in the iTunes store, I would try to click on the links for reviews, or related apps, etc, and none of the links worked. This problems also does not occur in Lion.

This is generally a network issue. As a first trouble shooting step, restart your computer. If that does not work power cycling the internet modem will generally clear up the problem.

Aug 4, 2013 9:36 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Michael Allbritton wrote:

You are simply not understanding how app updating works in iTunes 11. Apple has changed it up a bit. When viewing your apps in iTunes, along the top, directly under the LED display click the "updates" tab. This will show you all the apps that have available updates. Then click the "update" button in the lower right of the screen.

On my item 2 I was talking about syncing the apps to the iDevice, not the process of getting my updates in iTunes.

This is generally a network issue. As a first trouble shooting step, restart your computer. If that does not work power cycling the internet modem will generally clear up the problem.

The broken links was perpetual every time I shopped for apps or updates of apps in iTunes 11, every time over several months, until the App store stopped working altogether and started presenting white pages.

<SARCASM>If Apple wants me to watch my spending on apps, this is a great way to do it, keep me out of the app store :-(</SARCASM>

Aug 4, 2013 11:06 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

As to the iTunes Store not displaying pages I still say you should power cycle the internet modem.

The Internet Modem has been power cycled many times. Never helped the broken links. Power cycling modem, router, or computer does not help the blank page issue either. iTunes 11 store completely unviewable and unuseable in Snow Leopard. Can't even get so far as to see the broken links problem anymore.

I am considering downgrading to iTunes 10.7 and rebuilding my library from scratch. The install of an older iTunes will require use of Pacifist, see this article:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1500208

Message was edited by: tkoyn

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.