Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail won't load on eMac on Tiger 10.4.11

I am in France where my mum lives and have wiped her eMac hard drive (which had problems) and reinstalled 10.4.11.

Internet and Safari work fine.

When I try to create a Gmail account for her the new account details are accepted and registered by Google fine except

when I click 'go to gmail' the progress bar goes almost to the end but will not complete loading.

I can log into the new gmail account on my iPhone and send and receive email.

On the iPhone there were the usual welcome messages from Google in the new Inbox.

On the eMac I have entered the new Gmail account successfully in Mail and it will receive email but NOT send.

I get the error message: the send address (new gmail address) is not recognized by the server.

I wondered if I had made some mistake so tried creating another gmail account and exactly the same thing happened.

I have searched for Google tech support but there is no phone number or email.

I have searched Google for similar experiences on the same Mac but no result.

No idea why the new Gmail account will not open in Safari.

Any suggestions please?

thanks

Pete

Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPhone4S-OTHER, iPad

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 11:39 PM

5 replies

Aug 4, 2013 7:28 AM in response to Peter Whitaker

Is there something to do with the eMac or 10.4.11 that is preventing me using Gmail ?

Based on some other web-accessed e-mail services lately, I suspect a similar but reworded sentence is more accurate:"

Is there something with Google that is preventing me from using the eMac or 10.4.11.

A friend had been away from his much older Mac running OS10.3.9 and, on returning home recently, found he could not longer access his Yahoo mail from a computer that worked fine four months before. Yahoo had done some updates that shut him out.

It could be that the limitation of older browsers is part of the problem.

First, I'd talk to Google mail support to see f they have moved to not supporting PowerPC Macs on their services.

Then I'd try another browser. TenForFox ( http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/ ) is a PPC port of a recent Firefox version that web sites recognize as supporting newer Macs. I find it faster than regular FireFox or Safari 4.1.3 on our PPC Macs.

Try TenFourFox with Google mail.

Aug 8, 2013 3:00 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks very much for the replies guys.

Pulled my hair out unsuccessfully to set up either a Gmail or Hotmail account. (which I thought was a simple task)

But then spoke to her service provider (through her bilingual friend) and sorted out her original pop email which now seems to be working fine - phew! I have to say that getting the incoming and outgoing mail server address from SFR was like getting blood out of a stone!

Only spent 4 days with my mum and far too much time taken up with this, specially considering it was hot weather (did spend some nice time on the beach)

thanks

Pete

Aug 8, 2013 11:19 AM in response to Peter Whitaker

I have to say that getting the incoming and outgoing mail server address from SFR was like getting blood out of a stone!

Amazing how things important on our end are a mystery to most providers... isn't it!?

My gMail settings for IMAP, (which you need to choose at gMail Webmail in a browser, are...

emailaddress@gmail.com

Incoming server: imap.gmail.com

Username: yourname followed with @gmail.com

Password: ******************

Port 993 Use SSL checked, Authentication Password

Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com

Use Default ports

Use SSL checked

Password

username without @gmail.com

Password *****************

Gmail won't load on eMac on Tiger 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.