Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make new friends but keep the old?

I have two old, old ipods (one of which I bought at a pawn shop just to see if it'd work) that both only show up as "device with removable storage" for 1 second when I unplug them from the usb port. My iphone updates just fine, but I want to update music on the ol' ipod which holds way more of course. They both WILL connect when plugged into a different pc, so it's not a hardware issue on that end. I've un/reinstalled itunes a TON already, also my computer is a pretty hot mess and had a virus awhile ago. Really the only reason I have it is to keep and update music. Any ideas, for the love of god? Also "the software required for communicating with ipods and mobile phones was not installed correctly. Do you want itunes to try to repair this for you?" Comes up only in safe mode, but the option doesn't help. And.. what else? They won't show up either in disk mode. I think that's everything. Could my antivirus be interfearing with the ipods and not the iphone? And why is everything horrible? Because in an unrelated incident my iphone was grievously injured in a farming accident today.

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 10:24 PM

1 reply

Aug 6, 2013 7:14 AM in response to armymc

Hello armymc,

It sounds like both your iPods are not being recognized in iTunes on your Windows computer and will only appear for 1 second as a device with removable storage. I found an article with steps to address this:

iPod not recognized in 'My Computer' and in iTunes for Windows

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1369

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Make new friends but keep the old?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.